Jackets

Posted by: ETSU Pride

Jackets - 11/05/11 06:18 PM

Which jackets do you guys/gals like best between Patagonia and Mountain Hardwear? I've been looking at Nano Puffer, Zonal, and similar models for both brands. I'm looking for a warm lightweight insulator jacket. I'll probably prefer it to be synthetic since it's cheaper. Patagonia getting the nod right now due to built in compression sack, but I don't know if any Mountain Hardwear has the same feature?
Posted by: thecook

Re: Jackets - 11/05/11 10:26 PM

The stoic down jackets are getting good reports right now and there is also a decent down jacket for $30 at Costco if you aren't too large an adult. It only comes in kids sizes but the XL will fit adults. Try on a bunch as the sizing is inconsistent.
Posted by: lori

Re: Jackets - 11/05/11 11:10 PM

Neither. I have a Montbell Thermawrap and a Marmot down jacket, they are about the same in terms of warmth, and I got one used and the other on sale. Less than a hundred bucks for each. The Montbell has a hood and the Marmot doesn't.

Re: Jackets - 11/05/11 11:50 PM

I'm searching ebay too for deals. I'm not limiting myself to just those two brands, they are just all I know about at the moment. I will look at Marmot and Montbell. Thanks.

Re: Jackets - 11/06/11 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By lori
Neither. I have a Montbell Thermawrap and a Marmot down jacket, they are about the same in terms of warmth, and I got one used and the other on sale. Less than a hundred bucks for each. The Montbell has a hood and the Marmot doesn't.

I really like the Montbell Thermawrap. I think I may buy this one and I'm search ebay and Christmas sales coming up for a good deal. I'm now trying decide if I want the one with hood or not. I'll probably get synthetic in case of wet weather. Exactly how warm is the Thermawrap? What lowest temperature you have been in wearing it while staying comfortable with just the jacket on?

Edit: The best feature of the Montbell is where the hand pockets are located. From the photo online it appears to be above the hipbelt. All the other jackets I've looked at, the hipbelt covers up the pocket. I might want put a snack or something in my pocket when hiking and I don't want the hipbelt restricting access to the pocket.
Posted by: Ewker

Re: Jackets - 11/07/11 09:35 AM

Originally Posted By thecook
The stoic down jackets are getting good reports right now and there is also a decent down jacket for $30 at Costco if you aren't too large an adult. It only comes in kids sizes but the XL will fit adults. Try on a bunch as the sizing is inconsistent.

My gf just bought a down jacket from Costco and it was a womens jacket. The cost was around $30 to $35. I asked her what fill and she couldn't find it so she called the company. It was a 600 fill jacket. She wore it this weekend and it kept her warm

Re: Jackets - 11/07/11 10:27 AM

I wouldn't rely on the Thermawrap by itself below freezing - it's not a winter jacket, but a good three season option. I've layered it with base layers and rain shell over the top with good results.

It's also very packable, for a synthetic. I only favor it over the down jacket when I think I want a hood.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Jackets - 11/07/11 01:54 PM

Generally speaking, synthetic for hiking in or wearing in chronically rainy conditions, down for everything else. There are such vast variations in fill, shell fabric and design that it's probably best to research and envision your ultimate jacket, then look for whoever might make it. Likely as not, several companies will make something close and then you can shop for the best deal.

For wet weather I take a Patagonia Puffball. For better conditions I have two weights of down "sweaters" by Montbell and Patagonia and then my no-holds-barred cold-fighting weapon--a Feathered Friends down jacket.

Re: Jackets - 11/07/11 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By lori
I wouldn't rely on the Thermawrap by itself below freezing - it's not a winter jacket, but a good three season option. I've layered it with base layers and rain shell over the top with good results.

It's also very packable, for a synthetic. I only favor it over the down jacket when I think I want a hood.

Is both of our definition of below freezing is 30 degrees or below? Some people have a different definition of below freezing. lol.

Re: Jackets - 11/07/11 07:06 PM

I mean 32F - I claim to be freezing around 40 but when posting I tend to be more accurate than that.