SMD Sil-Nylon Trekker

Posted by: bigsac

SMD Sil-Nylon Trekker - 09/06/11 01:40 PM

Received new SMD Trekker last Friday. Bought it for the stargazing capabilities. Have set it up and seam sealed, but haven't used it in the field yet. My first SMD product. Looks like a winner to me. Plan on taking it to Point Reyes for a torture test soon. By torture I mean sustained 30mph winds with gusts to 45, horizontal rain all night. At least that's what happened the last time I took a tent there.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: SMD Sil-Nylon Trekker - 09/06/11 02:13 PM

I absolutely agree...I received mine about 3 weeks ago. Going to use it in about a month from now. I will let you know how THAT goes. It does remind me a little of the light heart solo, except that it is only partially dual wall.
Posted by: bigsac

Re: SMD Sil-Nylon Trekker - 09/06/11 03:21 PM

Some folks on BackPackingLight were talking about a design improvement by replacing the cross piece with 1/2 inch Pex tubing, easily and cheaply (approx. $2) obtained at Home Depot. The idea was that it made the tent more rigid and prevented the pole tips from poking holes in the top of the tent. It requires heating and bending the ends of the Pex to a 45 degree angle. I may try that since the Pex is so cheap. It even comes in red!
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: SMD Sil-Nylon Trekker - 11/21/11 04:35 PM

Well, I finally got a chance to test my Skyscape sil-nylon trekker out. My first thought was it looks like poor mans Lightheart Solo, a tent I have been very interested in. Like the Solo, it is set up so you can use your trekking poles. Since I don't use those, I also purchased the Easton carbon poles with it. Total weight seam sealed tent, stakes, and poles is 1lb 13oz.

Basically, its a hybrid with about 80% being dual wall (more or less the sides are dual wall) and 20% single (the "ceiling"). There was lots of condensation, which was typical for me. But because most of it was on the "rain fly" it was not a problem and I just wiped off the single wall ceiling. I am still getting used to it, but I think it will work for me. For desert camping however, I need to bring long, skinny stakes to hold the thing up. Due to the sandy soil, it was tough to find a good spot where the thing would stay up...even putting rocks on the stakes. I had to use grass clumps to stake to.

I was sold on my Sixmoons pack right away. For me, the jury is still out on this one. I need a few more trips in it.
Posted by: sir limpsalot

Re: SMD Sil-Nylon Trekker - 02/02/12 10:15 AM

I've had great experiences with my trekker. The greater size over LHG solo is important to me (6'1", 240#, long bag)- Judy at LHG let me know the solo would be a little short. LHG's new SoLong 6 is made of a less waterproof fabric than the Skyscape Trekker and requires more stakes. I prefer a large size pad and the new neoair Xlite pad allows me just enough more forward into the forward peak to make the Trekker a great fit. A recent snow hike on PA's AT had me setting the tent up at dusk in 15 degree temps...I was pleased how fast and easy it set up (be prepared to re-tension before you settle in, though).