Tent question

Posted by: Devin88va

Tent question - 08/09/11 04:33 PM

so I just purchased and received a tent weighing 2.3kg, or 5lbs about, I feel this may be to heavy for a lightweight weekend tent? It is a 2 person, but I will be going alone. Or sometimes with a dog/buddy, any idea on if I should try to return/sell, I'm just worried it will weigh to high for me to take, I looked online more and found 2person tents for 2pounds and such, also my tent is a macpac if anyone has ever heard of them, a company out of new Zealand.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Tent question - 08/09/11 08:11 PM

Hi
Sounds like you have a Macrolite (?)
MacPac is a well known and generally well respected tent manufacturer here in Australia, as it is in NZ.
Those shelters are on the heavy side for many that frequent these forums but are mid range for the traditional bushwalker here.
If it is the Macrolite or a silnylon Minaret, keep in mind that you need to seam seal them.
They generally have a good reputation for weather resistance, particularly wind and rain, not so much snow with the Macrolite.
So if you are after long term use and you like the shape/size of it , why not keep it ?
If on the other hand the weight is bothering you and you don't particularly care for it, then you know what to do.
Franco
Posted by: TomD

Re: Tent question - 08/14/11 01:50 AM

I've got an old MacPac sleeping bag from the mid 80's. They used to make really good, if old school, gear. Not sure about the gear since the company was sold. MacPac gear tends to be a bit heavy because the weather in NZ can be really awful at times, so I think that drives their design philosophy.

Franco-there is a Dr. Who reference in the product description of the Macrolight on their website-very funny (and pretty obscure for most Americans). Hehehe.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Tent question - 08/14/11 07:45 PM

Hi Tom
I just read that. Never seen it before but I am not sure that I ever read their blurb apart from the specs.
Macpac now have their own retail outlets, 2 here in Melbourne, so I am familiar with their tents and some of the other stuff.
BTW, there are two versions of that Macrolite. The new one has a slightly redesigned entry point.
They have some really nice (and light...) sleeping bags as well as some lighter down garments.
They are also into eVent having dropped the other guy...
Franco
Posted by: frediver

Re: Tent question - 08/16/11 02:17 PM

Another way to look at this.
Yes it might be a bit heavy for a 1 person 1 dog tent?
But:
What should a lite one weight ( NZ source ) how much
weight would you actually save and is saving that
much weight really worth it?
Considering.
Loss of room ? A one person tent is normally only large
enough for one Avg. person, little gear, no dog.
With nasty weather you might end up spending a few extra
hours in your tent larger is better.
Potential loss of durability ?
Are the 2 pound tents you are now looking at including the weight
of all the little bits n pieces, I bet not.
What are you trading for that 2 pound weight?

My .02c
Posted by: TomD

Re: Tent question - 08/17/11 12:01 AM

Devin-I would not get a smaller tent. You can find lighter ones, but the smaller they are, the less comfortable they are in bad weather. My winter tent is a fairly big two person tent and I use it alone. Unfortunately, it is heavy.

When I was touring in NZ years ago, I took a Sierra Design Flashlight (the old sleeve model). It was okay, but did not have a vestibule. Today, I wouldn't buy a tent without one if I knew I was going to be in rainy weather. Two people in my Flashlight was a squeeze. Don't be seduced into getting a bivy sack or something tiny just because of the weight. You will regret it in heavy weather.

I was at Lake Manapouri for a couple of days in really bad weather and luckily I was by myself. Two of us in the rain in the Flashlight was no fun as I found out later.