ID a MBD Stove for me?

Posted by: seaeagle

ID a MBD Stove for me? - 05/08/11 07:22 PM

Can some one ID this MBD stove. I just impulse purchased it from another forum.
Posted by: lori

Re: ID a MBD Stove for me? - 05/08/11 07:24 PM

Looks like one of the Blackfly stoves - fill the reservoir with a couple ounces of water, fill the fuel cup with denatured alcohol, light the wick, presto. Long burn, hot water.

Don't forget to blow out the wick before it runs out of fuel.

Re: ID a MBD Stove for me? - 05/08/11 07:33 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. I was a bit confused because all of the blackfly stoves I can find online have only two wick holes and this one has 4.

Re: ID a MBD Stove for me? - 05/08/11 08:00 PM

It does look more like an IsoFly in the wick, but the stove itself looks like a Blackfly.

If you want to be sure, email Tinny a picture and let him tell you. The Iso uses different fuel and burns hot - the Blackfly is a lower heat fuel efficient stove.

Look on Youtube - he has videos of the IsoFly and his other stoves.

Re: ID a MBD Stove for me? - 05/08/11 08:06 PM

The guy had an iso fly for sale (the exact stove in the video that you posted before your edit) I purchased the one pictured as I thought it was a black fly. After further examination the wick thing threw me for a loop. Maybe this is a transitional stove.

Re: ID a MBD Stove for me? - 05/08/11 09:20 PM

Tinny does a lot of R&D - he stopped making most of his old style stoves and now does these UFO looking things... I really like the Mini Atomic, have a Choke Hazard - he's got some stove-fu for sure. It's entirely possible this was some transitional model as he evolved the Blackfly.

I've steam baked with the Blackfly - it's pretty cool. Having an adjustable wick makes it all work.