Yoga pants for hiking?

Posted by: sautmush

Yoga pants for hiking? - 04/25/11 12:54 PM

Has anyone hiked in yoga pants(like the prana sutra)? I'm thinking about using yoga pants for hiking on cooler days and to wear around camp, in conjunction with running shorts as Shorts/underwear on hot days. I just don't know how comfortable they'd be with a pack on. Also, the prana sutra's are made of hemp mostly which I'm sure dries like cotton, but they are supposed to be super breathable and only around 7oz as well.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Yoga pants for hiking? - 04/25/11 01:27 PM

I would be concerned about the durability as well as not being quick drying. The drying issue can be addressed simply by washing the pants, hand wring, and line drying, observing how long it takes to dry and the difference in weight when dry vs wet (hand wring). Some yoga pants that are also billed as climbing pants would be durable.
Posted by: sautmush

Re: Yoga pants for hiking? - 04/25/11 02:25 PM

The pants I mentioned above are listed as yoga/bouldering pants so I don't think durability is so much an issue
Posted by: phat

Re: Yoga pants for hiking? - 04/28/11 11:58 PM

Most yoga pants I've seen are reasonably thick - but not that
light - although they'll have some warmth to them.

Compare the weight with just a good pair of poly long johns. I've done lots of hiking "peter pan style" with just those and a pair of shorts.

My issue with them would be the weight, and well, the false
advertising.. All the pictures look like this:

Yet for some reason, my butt doesn't wink
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Yoga pants for hiking? - 05/01/11 07:22 PM

Another consideration- few exercise or yoga pants have pockets. I would not use pants without substantial pockets. Also, like Phat's photo shows, women's yoga pants may be stylish but the low cut waist can be very problematic with pack waist bands. Plus, low cut = mosquito bites. Hey- mosquitoes also love that stylish tight fit in the butt - easy to sting right through!