4 season tent

Posted by: mblanchard

4 season tent - 04/22/11 10:08 AM

I'm looking for a reasonably priced 4 season, 2 person tent.

Being a poor college student, I consider "reasonably priced" to be under or around $200. I've been checking online, and found a few options however I didn't know if there's something in particular that i'm overlooking. Weight is not the hugest issue for me right now. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Matt
Posted by: oldranger

Re: 4 season tent - 04/22/11 10:40 AM

Four season under $200? That's tough. Keep your eye out for a slightly used tent or a great sale...

Do you really plan to do a lot of backpacking in winter conditions? For most of us, a quality three season tent works just fine (and is a good bit lighter). For $200, that is achievable.
Posted by: lori

Re: 4 season tent - 04/22/11 10:47 AM

Sometimes folks think they need a 4 season tent - if you are deliberately going out in winter a lot, where it snows and gets strong wind, you probably do. If you are camping on snow in decent weather, and only do so once in a while, a 3 season will get you by.

I would look at the Scarp - it's one of the lighter, less expensive 4 season options. Not suitable everywhere but a true double wall with the option of extra poles, and either a solid or net inner. If you could spring for both, it would be a true 4 season tent - net in summer, solid inner in winter to keep out spindrift, relatively stable all the way around.

Post where and when you think you will need the 4 season tent... bunch of winter campers on here can share what they think you would need for that.
Posted by: mblanchard

Re: 4 season tent - 04/22/11 09:41 PM

Yeah, I'm guessing a 3 season tent would probably do. I'm from new england, however I plan on using it in December in the grand canyon... as a first excursion anyway.

Regarding a solid 3 season tent in the same price range... Any suggestions?

thanks again,
matt
Posted by: Pika

Re: 4 season tent - 04/22/11 10:03 PM

You will not need a 4-season tent in the Grand Canyon any time of the year. You might have to deal with some snow in the winter months but seldom more than a few inches. Any quality three-season tent will serve you year around in the Grand Canyon and would be a bit of overkill between April and November.
Posted by: oldranger

Re: 4 season tent - 04/22/11 11:06 PM

I would say you do not need a tent in the Grand Canyon, period. My nights in the GC have been spent in bivy sacks. A tarp for shade is more useful most of the year than a tent.
Posted by: phat

Re: 4 season tent - 04/22/11 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By Kent W
What Length Woopies do you users recomend? I was thinking 6 foot maxlength? I havent comited yet but have the cord to make them?

I got the standard 6 footers. In my experience fine - given the length of stuff I usually have on a hammock and these don't go around trees.

Go look at

tarptent (tarptent.com)
six moon designs
black diamond.

All are good. I own some of each smile

Posted by: Kent W

Re: 4 season tent - 04/23/11 08:57 AM

Thanks Phat thats what I was thinkin.