Alps gear: even with 45% off anything 4 a UL newb?

Posted by: humblefan

Alps gear: even with 45% off anything 4 a UL newb? - 08/21/10 05:27 PM

Starting to look at gear for ultralight to minimalist extended trek hiking. I have access to the discount Alps gives to Boy Scouts (45% off). Anything they have worth the weight even so heavily discounted?
Posted by: Rdljr

Re: Alps gear: even with 45% off anything 4 a UL newb? - 08/28/10 05:49 PM

They are not known for lightweight, but they do sell some close to bombproof tents. I have a two person extreme that has got a lot of nights on it and has never failed me, even in some nasty snow/rain conditions. But it is heavy. Thier prices are low for what you get.
RDL
Posted by: DJ2

Re: Alps gear: even with 45% off anything 4 a UL newb? - 08/28/10 11:22 PM

The ALPS tents are often heavily discounted at the REI outlet too.

I'm really amazed by the reasonable deals that some of these companies offer on products that are very similar to much higher priced products.

Many of these tents sell for prices that wouldn't even cover the materials cost if you tried to make it yourself....as I do from time to time.

I've bought a couple of Wenzel tents just out of curiousity. Amazing prices for the labor and materials that are included. Some of the Wenzel tents are in the $25 to $75 range.

Seems to me that some of these companies, with the right leadership and design, could put out a $100 tent that would blow the competition away.

Posted by: skinewmexico

Re: Alps gear: even with 45% off anything 4 a UL newb? - 08/30/10 12:46 AM

Alps makes some good gear, at a great price, that has served our troop very well. But I sure don't remember any of it being UL. I don't even remember any of it being very lightweight.
Posted by: DJ2

Re: Alps gear: even with 45% off anything 4 a UL newb? - 08/30/10 10:48 AM

I agree. None of them are really lightweight.

But the companies seem to have the potential to manufacture any tent at a reasonable and sometimes ridiculously low price. If they decided to make a lightweigt tent I think they could do it at a very low price.

Perhaps they don't see the market as being large enough to make it worth their time.