Leukotape

Posted by: DJ2

Leukotape - 08/18/10 05:16 PM

I recently used this tape on my wife's heal blister. Worked well and stayed on during her aerobics class.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/..._thread_id=3819

I rarely get blisters but it occurs to me that this might work as a mosquito barrier in two areas where I sometimes get bites.

Area 1-back of hands. The mosquitoes sometimes get me there when I'm working on something and can't slap them away in time to avoid a bite.

Area 2-Ankles just above my low cut shoes and below my pant leg bottoms. The skeeters will bite through my socks and form a bite necklace around my ankle.

I don't like to use mosquito repellent and perithrin treatment on my socks quickly wears off with multiple stream crossings and sweat.

Has anyone tried using tape as a bug barrier?

Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Leukotape - 08/18/10 06:31 PM

Ouch! My skin is sensitive enough that it would come off with the tape!

I suggest low gaiters for preventing bites through sock tops. They also keep debris (although unfortunately not dust) from getting into your shoes. There are less nasty repellents than DEET (although not as effective) for the backs of hands--citronella, eucalyptus, Avon Skin-So-Soft.
Posted by: dkramalc

Re: Leukotape - 08/18/10 06:50 PM

Actually the oil of lemon eucalyptus (I tried the Repel brand this summer) is rated as effective as lower doses of DEET. Or in another sense, it's just as effective as 100%, but for shorter periods of time - I applied every couple of hours and didn't have a problem with the little buggers.

And it didn't dissolve plastic.
Posted by: GDeadphans

Re: Leukotape - 08/18/10 10:10 PM

My "down to earth" friends that use pretty much only organic stuff, whether its food, herbs, or topsoil, use Eucalyptus also. It works, thats for sure. But like DK said, just apply more often.