the lightest camp shoe/flip flop

Posted by: bmwrider

the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/19/10 11:09 PM

I know it must have been asked before, I want the lightest camp footware for walking around camp, I don't want to make something though just want to know if there are any favorites out there.

I know alot of you don't use them and I don't most of the time but I go a few places where the ground sucks bare foot and I like to get out of my boots.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/19/10 11:59 PM

We use crocs, and love them. Less than a pound in weight, and they serve as camp shoes, water shoes for wading a creek...and we even wear them in the car on the way home.

Posted by: aimless

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/20/10 12:42 AM

I bought a pair of pac-boot felt liners for $2 at a factory outlet near my house. Then I cut them down to ankle-top height, and I put a pair of old insoles in them. The pair weighs 7.5 oz. They work ok. Biggest weakness is having rather thin soles.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/20/10 01:00 AM

If I take camp shoes, the brand is Waldies - another Crocs clone. Most of the time, I don't take camp shoes; my trail shoes are pretty comfortable, and I don't feel the need for separate shoes. I tend to take them mostly if I know I'll need something for wading; the use in camp is just a bonus.

My buddy always takes his Waldies, though.
Posted by: Tangohkr

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/20/10 01:22 AM

Quark shoes are like Crocs only lighter. The lightest ones are around 3ish oz for each shoe. They are not as wide as Crocs (good for me)
Posted by: ringtail

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/20/10 07:07 AM

+1 for Crocs. I wear socks at night so no flip-flops.

I do not wear boots. Trail runners with the insole removed work, but the Crocs are so nice.

This summer I forgot to pur my shoes on before taking my hammock down so just used Crocs to hike the three miles back to the car.
Posted by: phat

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/20/10 09:36 AM

I don't normally carry a camp shoe - I do if I'm expecting a lot of beaches and a desire to do a lot of wading. Then I carry a pair of six dollar wal-mart croc clones.

the crocs are good for beach/wading stuff. if I just wanted a flip flop, (not for wading) there may be lighter options out there.

Posted by: frediver

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/20/10 10:46 AM

The problem I have with the Quarks and Flaps are the open sides than allow sand and pebbles in under my foot, ouch !
When I take camp shoes I take cheap canvas deck shoes or elastic topped water shoes like reef walkers or speedos.
These offer decent sole protection and prevent the pebbles getting between my foot and the shoes sole.
Posted by: OldScout

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/20/10 11:48 AM

crocs with the closed toe to keep dirt out.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/20/10 03:12 PM

I know you asked about camp shoes, but if you also want a serious lace-up camp shoe that will double for very secure wading and also work to actually walk out if your shoes get lost or fall apart, I have a pair of the lightest available running shoes. These are the specialized racing shoes (look on the internet on special running sites). My shoes (men's size 7) weigh 6.5 oz each shoe - or 13 oz. They were expensive (got them at Fleet Foot for about $70 years ago). If I take out the foot liner they weigh 12 oz. total - I hike in super-feet inserts, so use these when I wear them around camp. They actually have very roomy toe box. If you use them for wading you need to replace the cotton laces with laces that do not absorb water. I think some of these high-end shoes are even lighter now than when I bought mine about 6 years ago. I also have crocks, but take the running shoes if I anticipate really serious crossings. My crocks really are not comfortable enough to walk 10 miles.

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/20/10 05:43 PM

Quarks also have an enclosed front shoe, it's a little heavier. I got the ones that have 3 openings on each side of the shoe, I thought I would just duct tape them if needed. I wore them in Alaska with socks and they were pretty warm.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/20/10 09:09 PM

Sprint Aquatics mesh shoes (they have men's too)

And my latest acquisition: GooseFeet with the waterproof shells

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/21/10 11:57 PM

How cool are they!!! I could have used them in AK. I was going to take my goose down camp slippers but not waterproof. Thanks for the link!
Posted by: bmwrider

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/22/10 01:06 AM

thanks for the suggestions, I'm thinking of trying to see if crocs has anything other than the basic and off road that would be lighter.
Posted by: Ewker

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/22/10 10:00 AM

I have been taking my Waldies with me for yrs. Waldies are the original shoes before they became Crocs and the heel strap was added. They are perfect for wading creeks and will float if they come off. They sure beat my old pair of Teva sandals I had.
Posted by: OldScout

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/22/10 12:20 PM

OM, I tried the mesh shoes and they were terrible for me. Extremely flimsy and may be good around a flat pool area but the soles are so thin that every rock and pebble can be felt through the soles while camping. Also, the mesh allowed alot of dirt to get through.

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/22/10 02:18 PM

Since I switched to trail runners for hiking, I wasn't going to take any camp shoes since the trail runners are so comfortable. Then I discovered that when I was crawling in and out of my tent at night, my trail runners really tore up the ground in front of my tent. I took the Sprint Aquatics to prevent that. I basically wore them only for the middle-of-the-night exits and entrances. If your hiking shoes are comfortable enough, you don't need camp shoes!

Now that I have switched to the Goose Feet, I'll be using the Sprint Aquatics shoes only in warm weather.
Posted by: wildthing

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/27/10 05:57 PM

They may not be the lightest, but the Teva Mush flip-flops weigh only 4oz and they are very comfortable with a snug fitting toe retainer and quite comfy foam base. They last well too, for the $25 pricetag.

http://www.teva.com/ProductDetails.aspx?g=m&categoryID=&productID=6110&model=Mush Men's Mush

http://www.teva.com/ProductDetails.aspx?g=&productID=6119&model=Mush Women's Mush
Posted by: GDeadphans

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/27/10 08:38 PM

I have to agree with the Teva's. Lightweight and very comfortable. I have the Khavi's I believe they are called. But my old pair I bought for 20 bucks and lasted me for 4 years with a brutal beating. Both pairs comfortable and lightweight. Granted, I do not have a scale to weigh them out, I do know they are lighter than shoes and even my slippers.
Posted by: DJ2

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/27/10 08:59 PM

I think the Sprint Shoes you mentioned are the lightest of those mentioned so far. I just weighed my pair (size 13) and they weigh 1.8 ounces on my scale.

That's 1.8 ounces for the pair (i.e. less than 1 ounce per shoe).
Posted by: akluvitlivit

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/29/10 03:30 PM

I'll have to throw in another vote for Crocs as a camp shoe. They are versatile enough for hanging around camp, crossing streams, etc. But the thing I like best is the durability and the weight. I just strap mine on the outside of my pack and I don't even realize they are there.
Posted by: DirkJan

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 07/30/10 02:12 PM

I always take my Vibram FiveFingers. They may not be as cheap (120 euro for KSO) as Crocs and such, but they do keep all the branches and such out (KSO-version (KeepStuffOut, doh :P)) and are lovely to wear.

They do weigh about 300 grams, but I wouldn't want to wear anything else smile (You can even use them on smaller and less rough tramping tracks, and there are people actually quite some who always use them for hiking, but I prefer more stability...)
I wear them at home whole the time, when I'm not barefoot wink

If you want something lighter you could check out ultralight running shoes, they come in from around 100 grams.

(http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/)
Posted by: prone2wander

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 08/08/10 05:27 PM

I have a pair of soccer slides by Hurley that have a big ole ugly silver H in the middle of the vamp which I cut out. They weighed 8.2 oz for a pair of mens 11, 8.1 after I cut out the H grin. If you live in the south I found them at Academy for about $25 I think. Not near as comfortable as Crocs though.
Posted by: DJ2

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 09/05/10 12:37 AM

I just returned from a backpack trip where I used the Sprint Aquatics as inserts for my running shoes. Worked great.

I removed the inserts that came with the shoes before inserting the Sprints.

I placed the Sprints upside down so the mesh wouldn't rub against my feet.

Don't have to remember where you put the Sprints when you need them. They are in your shoes.
Posted by: Paul

Sprint Aquatics - 09/07/10 07:59 PM

Re the sprint aquatics mesh shoes: my experience is that they are pretty good wading shoes - good traction on the rocks ans just enough foot protection to get me across the creek - but as camp shoes, not so good. The fit is such that I couldn't get them on with any socks on my feet ( and I have very low-volume, flat feet) and the mesh lets in any and all dust, dirt and sand.
Posted by: Redfacery

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 09/08/10 02:42 PM

I bought the Propet Voyager this summer for an extended trip.
They work perfectly for around camp, and can be expanded to fit multiple layers of socks if you feel the need (or the skeeters are getting to you)

I wouldn't recommend them for river crossings on fast-moving or big rivers, as the straps are not that great at holding onto you in thick mud or while kicking.

However, they are comfortable enough and thick enough that you don't feel most rocks, and can wear them for hours.
Posted by: wildthing

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 09/14/10 05:44 AM

Checked out a pair of Prophet Voyagers when on holidays this summer and was surprised how light and comfy they are. I'm going to try again here in town, see if I can find my size. They're a bit pricy at $45 or so, but now that fall is here...maybe I can find some on sale.

I also was going to check out some cheap surf booties for cooler climates or where it may be a little wet.
Posted by: POPsJr.

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 09/18/10 05:08 PM

crocs closed toe
Posted by: BradMT

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 09/18/10 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By POPsJr.
crocs closed toe

Dat's what I use...
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 09/20/10 10:28 AM

I didn't even ask any you all have convinced me to get a pair of crocs. I'm tired of going bearfoot.

Hey BradMT, do the brown bears in Montana still know when they are in the National Park and protected?
Posted by: BarryP

Re: the lightest camp shoe/flip flop - 09/20/10 01:25 PM

0 oz.

For the TLBer it just seems if your footwear is hurting you by the end of the day, then you have the wrong footwear.

If you can’t just loosen up your footwear and say “oh, that feels like heaven” then something is wrong. There has to be a better way. And there usually is smile

Good luck on your footwear,
-Barry

Re: Sprint Aquatics - 09/20/10 03:48 PM

The Sprint Aquatics run small; to wear over socks you need to order a size larger.

I use them only for going in and out of the tent at night, and only because my hiking shoes tear up the ground outside the tent door. That's the only reason I even take them--my trail runners are so comfortable I don't need camp shoes otherwise.

My next trip, I get to try out my new Goose Feet with the waterproof over-booties!