Toopos on your digital camera?

Posted by: balzaccom

Toopos on your digital camera? - 06/09/10 09:56 PM

This came up as I looked at my photos from a recent trip. I had taken a photo of the topo map at the trailhead, just as a lark, and realized later that with the zoom feature of the camera, I could actually read the map.

So has anyone here tried to do this? Use your camera as a topo map library? I tried taking a couple of photos of maps here at home, with fair success--but what I would REALLY like is to be able to load them into the camera as jpgs.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Experience?

Posted by: gregpphoto

Re: Toopos on your digital camera? - 06/09/10 10:17 PM

I started doing this a while back. It comes in very handy when you are hiking areas that would require multiple maps. I happen to be a professional freelance photographer, and the screen on my Canon 50D is quite big (3"), makes for easy viewing. Make sure you have extra batteries if you're not carrying the map with you as well! I always carry the physical maps, and use my camera maps for quick peeks at the map.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Toopos on your digital camera? - 06/10/10 02:47 PM

I agree that it ain't a bad thing to have, just in case, but I wouldn't want to rely on it solely.

For that matter, I've thought it would be a good thing to haul images of guide book pages, first aid book pages, mountain weather forecasting info, sky charts and the like on a "reference card." A five-gram backcountry reference library, again primarily for emergencies, since "reading" a little camera display isn't always easy.

Cheers,
Posted by: Roocketman

Re: Toopos on your digital camera? - 06/10/10 07:49 PM

Your comment about the 5 gram reference card made me change my mind and agree with you.

Thanks.
Posted by: taM

Re: Toopos on your digital camera? - 06/11/10 12:38 AM

certainly a decent idea, especially as a back-up or secondary reference.

Considering I was the unfortunate victim of (read: careless owner of) a broken camera screen on my last backpacking trip, I'd certainly not want an electronic reference to be my only reference, unless I can read the memory card with another device (cellphone, etc).
Posted by: Roocketman

Re: Toopos on your digital camera? - 06/11/10 07:36 AM

Originally Posted By taM

Considering I was the unfortunate victim of (read: careless owner of) a broken camera screen on my last backpacking trip, I'd certainly not want an electronic reference to be my only reference, unless I can read the memory card with another device (cellphone, etc).

Have you ever considered a backup for the paper trail guide or maps that you carry? They can be lost.

One could carry a digital copy of maps (backup), trail guides(backup), hiking tips like how to tie certain knots, instructions for any electronic gadgets one is carrying..... and mostly nobody would die if somehow these were lost or not available.
Posted by: taM

Re: Toopos on your digital camera? - 06/11/10 10:58 AM

Originally Posted By Roocketman
Originally Posted By taM

Have you ever considered a backup for the paper trail guide or maps that you carry? They can be lost.

One could carry a digital copy of maps (backup), trail guides(backup), hiking tips like how to tie certain knots, instructions for any electronic gadgets one is carrying..... and mostly nobody would die if somehow these were lost or not available.

Valid point, I generally do my best to stow my map somewhere secure, but that's far from a guarantee.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Toopos on your digital camera? - 06/11/10 06:43 PM

Paint or spray your paper topo maps W/ Tompson's Water Seal for good proection and strengthening the paper. Much cheaper than "Map Safe" liquid.
Posted by: Wolfeye

Re: Toopos on your digital camera? - 06/13/10 07:58 PM

I haven't tried that specifically, but a project I'd like to work on this year is cataloging edible plants in my camera. Of course, it would be better if my camera wasn't a dinosaur with a postage stamp sized screen.