Big Agnes Fairview Tent = missprint?

Posted by: DJ2

Big Agnes Fairview Tent = missprint? - 06/08/10 09:27 PM

http://www.rei.com/product/801348

Link above should take you to a Big Agnes Fairview tent that is on sale at REI Outlet.

It lists the weight as 2 lb 12 oz. It is hard for me to believe that one could buy a free standing Big Agnes tent at this weight for $129. Is this a missprint or the wave of the future.

Just in case it is legit I ordered one. Also has free shipping.
Posted by: thecook

Re: Big Agnes Fairview Tent = missprint? - 06/08/10 10:14 PM

The average packed weight is 4 lbs 15oz. That 2 lbs must be either a misprint or a fast pitch weight.

Re: Big Agnes Fairview Tent = missprint? - 06/08/10 10:36 PM

I think you are right.
Posted by: Weldman

Re: Big Agnes Fairview Tent = missprint? - 06/09/10 12:15 PM

DJ,

Its a misprint!!! I check in to this for a Friend since he has kids.
Actual weight with tent, rainfly and Stakes is 3lbs 12oz. I Asked both REI and Big Agnes got a email from Big Agnes which stated the above, passed it on last week to REI. Seems they don't care, they just want your business.
Posted by: Protorio

Re: Big Agnes Fairview Tent = missprint? - 06/09/10 01:47 PM

Yea - must mean 2 lbs. 12 oz. for rainfly/footprint, and average packed weight of 4 lbs. 5 oz. If in the real world, its close to 4lbs tent-fly-poles, that seems like a great deal for a 2-person.

The key for me is the pack size - 6x16", which is the same size as the Seedhouse SL2 (although a pound heavier). I bike camp, and pack size is rather important.

I wonder what the drawback on this tent is? REI has been pretty mysterious about it. No info on the Big Agnes site either.

Re: Big Agnes Fairview Tent = missprint? - 06/23/10 01:13 PM

I finally got around to setting up the Fairview 2 in my house. As several of you guessed the actual weight was heavier than shown but it still came out to a respectible 3 pounds 12 ounces for tent, fly and poles.

I'm returning this tent because 2 side doors is a required item for any 2 person tent that I use. Otherwise, however, the tent is a really good deal for the price ($130) and weight.

I like that the mosquito netting is only on the upper portion of the tent. It makes the tent warmer and would also makes it easy to fashion a removable cover for the top if I want it to be even warmer inside.

Unfortunately they sold out right away so it isn't a tent that one can buy now.