HELP ME with my alky stove addiction...........LOL

Posted by: bmwrider

HELP ME with my alky stove addiction...........LOL - 05/29/10 11:55 AM

I can't stop thinking about building stoves, I don't understand, every store I go to I see things I could make a stove out of every chance I get I'm trying something else.

HOW DO I STOP.....

Anyone else get wrapped up in this for a while?
Share with us, the first step is admitting you have a problem.

P.S. this post is just for laughs
Posted by: phat

Re: HELP ME with my alky stove addiction...........LOL - 05/29/10 12:46 PM

It's a common addiction. just build stoves - you'll get tired of them when you have a large boxful.. hopefully...

A good cure is to go hiking smile

Re: HELP ME with my alky stove addiction...........LOL - 05/29/10 12:59 PM

I knew I would get a response from ya soon thanks, I hope I get a few funny stories out of this one.
Posted by: frenchie

Re: HELP ME with my alky stove addiction...........LOL - 05/29/10 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By bmwrider
I knew I would get a response from ya soon thanks, I hope I get a few funny stories out of this one.

When I was at my addiction peak, i spent a looong time in the canned good aisles, imagined new stoves every time I spotted an abandonned drink, paint, food, whatever can laying in the gutter, stoked empty ones and traded with others stovacoholics...

Now I'm on wood stoves and more shelters...

Dammed cycles mad!
Posted by: countr21

Re: HELP ME with my alky stove addiction...........LOL - 05/29/10 02:32 PM

Do you test the stoves on backpacking trips?

Re: HELP ME with my alky stove addiction...........LOL - 05/30/10 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By countr21
Do you test the stoves on backpacking trips?

I have been building stoves to keep busy while recovering from foot surgery so I have not done any trail tests yet but I will
Posted by: jasonklass

Re: HELP ME with my alky stove addiction...........LOL - 05/30/10 11:05 AM

bmwrider,
When you wake up one morning to find you have no eyebrows and no hair on your knuckles, then you know you have hit rock bottom and it's time to join Alcohol Stoves Anonymous. I'd be honored to be your ASA sponsor.
Posted by: lori

Re: HELP ME with my alky stove addiction...........LOL - 05/30/10 11:15 AM

Sounds like what people generally do with gear sometimes. Next thing you know, there's a sewing machine with four projects in addition to the stove making gear...
Posted by: frenchie

Re: HELP ME with my alky stove addiction...........LOL - 05/30/10 11:18 AM

If I had ONLY four projects with the sewing machine...
It's been abused to the point that there is no more "reverse" position, so no going back crazy crazy!
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: HELP ME with my alky stove addiction...........LOL - 05/31/10 12:32 AM

Alky stoves are cheaper to make than buying some of these. http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/index.php All they discuss just about are stoves. Lively forum.

Re: HELP ME with my alky stove addiction...........LOL - 05/31/10 03:40 PM

That funny, but I don't have a stove problem I can quite anytime I want I just do want to quite.....LOL

I only play with stoves when I want to I don't need stoves, its only a problem when you need them, ok enough talk I need to go out to garage and finish something.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: HELP ME with my alky stove addiction... HA! - 06/04/10 01:41 AM

I really WISH my stove addiction extended only to alky stoves.

I have (only) 3 alky stoves, 2 multi-fuel stoves, 3 ESBIT stoves and 3 canister stoves. Soon I'll have A caldera Cone Tri Ti wood burner. My 1st stove was a mail-order "hobo" wood burning stove bought for me by my parents in 1955. It's lost in some garbage dump. (They didn't have "landfills" then.) Thus I can blame my paents, yet again, for my aberrant behavior

Eric
Posted by: mugs

Re: HELP ME with my alky stove addiction...........LOL - 06/05/10 04:07 PM

I built a bazzilion stoves on my quest for the holy grail of a stove to work with my BPL 550 cup. But I never could, so I kept going back to my Tiwing esbit stove. And ended up loving sebit for the properties it has. You can see it burn, you can blow it out and re-use it, it is lighter. There are more but those are the main ones.

I did however earlier this year discover an alcy stove that is the bees kness for me and my aplication. It is the Gram Weenie Pro by end to end trails. It works perfectly with my 550.

Do I still choose esbit over alchy most time yes. But alcy is making a slow come back in my life.

Just build unitl you get sick of it. Or you may never then it is just a fun way to pass the time. But think of it this way, all the time and energy you put into building stoves can be spent backpacking.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: HELP ME with my alky stove addiction...........LOL - 06/06/10 12:03 AM

phat
I'm so close to buying a $300 torch so I can make miniature spirit burners! thats insane, please help, its my tool fetish... shocked
Jim smile
Posted by: DTape

Re: HELP ME with my alky stove addiction...........LOL - 06/06/10 04:12 PM

I have a Gram Weenie PRO too. I received it as part of my prize for coming up with the name.

Anyway, my goto alcohol stove is the Fancee Feest now.