iphone gps apps

Posted by: moneymonk88

iphone gps apps - 05/18/10 07:57 AM

my wife just bought us new iphones. i dont know alot about the gps trail apps available (best one, etc.). does anybody have any knowledge about this? i was planning on taking the iphone on my next trip and leaving my camera, gps, and old phone behind, maybe saving me some space/weight.
Posted by: MarkNM

Re: iphone gps apps - 05/18/10 09:23 AM

would be nice wouldn't it?

sadly the iphone is a huge battery drain...i've had one since conception.

the pictures are decent quality but will not provide any flash or zoom so your pictures will be far away unless its a flower you are getting right next to...the gps service will drain your battery within10-8 hours by itself depending on how often it needs to query the data network.

also the iphone is extremely sensitve to heat and moisture so leaving in your pack could be dangerous...i don't even recommend leaving it in a hot car...

i tired to do it...and i had to bring a solex solar charger which i hung on my back all day and a bunch of wires to recharge it at night

however on a day hike you could get by with it...

sorry for the harshness but i too was elated and then dissapointed by this notion
Posted by: moneymonk88

Re: iphone gps apps - 05/18/10 09:37 AM

i have noticed the constant need to charge this phone. i was hoping a portable charger was available for BPing. i googled some of the apps available and i'll admit that my hopes were high.
Posted by: tclaw

Re: iphone gps apps - 05/27/10 03:48 PM

I have a Solio charger as well as the additional charge plug for my iPhone. I use the iPhone application, 'Everytrail', but don't let it run continuously. I'll turn it on every so often just to get a checkpoint. It's less accurate this way and sometimes doesn't take into account winding trails and curves, but it works me for.