bag hanging suggestions

Posted by: MarkNM

bag hanging suggestions - 05/14/10 03:04 PM

so i've been using the classic yellow braided rope for awhile now to hang my food bag in bear country....is there anything lighter/better easier option?

its hard to think of an alternative really,,,just curious
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: bag hanging suggestions - 05/14/10 03:52 PM

You can easily downsize to eighth-inch parachute cord. I downsized from that to Kelty Triptease, which IIRC is 1/16. The reflectivity comes in handy.

Cheers,
Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: bag hanging suggestions - 05/14/10 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By MarkNM
so i've been using the classic yellow braided rope for awhile now to hang my food bag in bear country....is there anything lighter/better easier option?

its hard to think of an alternative really,,,just curious

A cheap option is paracord-- 50ft will cost you around $4, weighs in at 1.5oz on my scale. Expensive options are everywhere on websites such as Gossamer Gear, BPL, MLD and Z-packs.
Posted by: countr21

Re: bag hanging suggestions - 05/14/10 08:11 PM

[/quote]

A cheap option is paracord-- 50ft will cost you around $4, weighs in at 1.5oz on my scale. Expensive options are everywhere on websites such as Gossamer Gear, BPL, MLD and Z-packs. [/quote]

Chris,

Where can I buy this product locally?

Josh
Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: bag hanging suggestions - 05/14/10 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By countr21

A cheap option is paracord-- 50ft will cost you around $4, weighs in at 1.5oz on my scale. Expensive options are everywhere on websites such as Gossamer Gear, BPL, MLD and Z-packs. [/quote]

Chris,

Where can I buy this product locally?

Josh [/quote]

I picked some up at the local Army Surplus store. I bet even your local REI would carry it for a couple of cents extra.
Posted by: MarkNM

Re: bag hanging suggestions - 05/15/10 03:22 AM

i've never hung with paracord...i alwaya thought it would be to sretchy/not durable enough
Posted by: Roocketman

Re: bag hanging suggestions - 05/15/10 08:26 AM

Originally Posted By MarkNM
i've never hung with paracord...i alwaya thought it would be to sretchy/not durable enough

The "real" paracord was made with a braided outer shell and several twisted inner cords. This had a rated breaking strength of several hundred pounds, and usually said so on the label.

A cheaper and lighter paracord is now more common on the market. It had a braided outer shell and no or few twisted inner cords. This is more stretchy and of lower strength. The package never gives a strength number.

For example, for a couple of bucks, WalMart has this lighter and weaker paracord on their shelves.

If you have ever seen, or better felt, the different parcords, you will easily know the difference. If not, let price be your guide.
Posted by: lori

Re: bag hanging suggestions - 05/17/10 11:20 AM

Arborist's line, like Zing It, works very well.

There's a ton of paracord in all colors hanging in knots in trees all over Yosemite and the Central Sierras. I got a good indicator of how that happened once in an area where we could hang instead of using canisters. After teaching someone the PCT hang, when we got up the next morning they promptly snapped their cord snagging it in a tree against a knot. The broken rope rebounded and draped itself high over a branch.

I've used the Zing It a few times so far - it does not stretch and is designed to glide over bark without sawing into it, and the one time it did snag I was able to pull it out without difficulty.

Technically any cord will do, if you are careful. Mason line would probably work but knots easy and frays. I used to use a polypro rope from the hardware store but it started to wear with the dragging along the bark. I think the zing it will last for a long time, and has the added benefit of being much lighter and packing smaller to boot. You can order it online for twenty bucks a spool and it's useful for guy lines as well.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: bag hanging suggestions - 05/17/10 12:55 PM

Thanks! I did not know about arborists lines--seems like a good, affordable alternative. And colors!

Cheers,
Posted by: sabre11004

Re: bag hanging suggestions - 05/18/10 06:24 PM

To get the real thing, just make sure that it is "Mil-Spec" and you will get all that great stuff inside...sabre11004 goodjob
Posted by: DJ2

Re: bag hanging suggestions - 05/18/10 11:37 PM

Based upon info provided in this thread I ordered and received today a 75 foot throw line from WesSpur.com. My scale says it weighs 3.5 ounces.

I got item # THR120. Invoice describes it as Throw Line, Target Line 75'.

Haven't used it yet. Looks like I'll get a chance next week and report back.