groundcloths

Posted by: bigwig

groundcloths - 05/12/10 11:33 AM

I have seen a lot of these posts but they are all pretty old and a lot of the links don't work. I'm looking for a place to buy a piece of Tyvek to fit my new Copper Spur 3. Anyone have any suggestions where I can buy a pre-cut sheet?

Also, I've been off the forum for a while, is there another lightweight and extremely puncture resistant material out there that people are now using? I used to build houses and trust that tyvek is very puncture resistant; often it was hard to get my utility knife into it to start a cut.

Anyway, thanks.
Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: groundcloths - 05/12/10 12:40 PM

Tyvek and Polycryo, which I believe is a similar material to a painter's drop cloth.

As for where to purchase: Z-Packs and MLD are just two places. You could look on Ebay also and I bet somewhere like Home Depot, Lowes etc would have painter's drop cloth which should be inexpensive. Another option is to ask around at construction sites for any Tyvek that will just be thrown away.
Posted by: Pika

Re: groundcloths - 05/12/10 01:28 PM

There is a light-weight Tyvek available at kite hobby outlets. It is called kite Tyvek and it is about 1.3 oz per sq. yd. compared to about 1.8 oz per yd. for house wrap. Also, house wrap is prone to accumulate static electricity which makes a lot of dust and other stuff on the ground cling. The kite Tyvek is less prone to "static cling" and has a softer feel. Google kite suppliers and look for the Tyvek they have in stock; you can buy it by the yard.

Re: groundcloths - 05/12/10 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By Pika
There is a light-weight Tyvek available at kite hobby outlets. It is called kite Tyvek and it is about 1.3 oz per sq. yd. compared to about 1.8 oz per yd. for house wrap. Also, house wrap is prone to accumulate static electricity which makes a lot of dust and other stuff on the ground cling. The kite Tyvek is less prone to "static cling" and has a softer feel. Google kite suppliers and look for the Tyvek they have in stock; you can buy it by the yard.

I did as you said but it looks like the stuff that kite places have is only 60 inches wide. Have you seen it wider? 60 inches is almost big enough, I guess. My Copper Spur 3 has a footprint of 70" byt 90" and since I want the tarp a bit smaller than that....I don't know. I think it's still a bit small.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: groundcloths - 05/12/10 03:00 PM

Pick up some shrink wrap stuff for windows, exterior stuff is heavier than the interior. Pick up at home improvement places. I use it. The wind will catch it, so weigh it down when setting up as needed. Same as the polycryo available at Anti Gravity Gear.
Posted by: MarkNM

Re: groundcloths - 05/12/10 03:17 PM

backcountry.com and antigravitygear sell it for 2 bucks a yard...however...i've succesfully stopped by a construction site 3 times now and been able to take(i ask) some off their large rolls....
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: groundcloths - 05/12/10 09:48 PM

I was getting back from lunch, so I couldn't type much, may want to support AGG, they have answered emails I have sent quickly and been good to deal with too.

Or was it Gossamer Gear? Both are good, for food or gear.
Posted by: CJC

Re: groundcloths - 05/13/10 09:39 PM

I agree with your statement about 60 inches might not be wide enough for a 70 inch wide footprint. I would go 65 -68 wide and 88 long for it. I have a Marmot 3 person with similar dimensions and ordered a piece off of Ebay to my exact request. Sorry I don't remember the name but I did a search on ebay for Tyvek and a number of places popped up. Chose one and gave them my dimensions I wanted and a week later I had it. A little less then $15 all in.

Re: groundcloths - 05/14/10 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By hikerduane
I was getting back from lunch, so I couldn't type much, may want to support AGG, they have answered emails I have sent quickly and been good to deal with too.

Or was it Gossamer Gear? Both are good, for food or gear.

Yeah, I've ordered a pot cozy from AGG and thought they had great customer service. Too bad they are gone this week, I wanted to get out early next week. I didn't know that AGG sold tyvek so thanks to everyone that made suggestions.