Where do you stick your camera?

Posted by: MarkNM

Where do you stick your camera? - 05/07/10 12:23 AM

I'm planning on bringing my Olympus e620 Dslr with me on the AT in september, and am torn on how to carry it...

i don't want to be reaching into my bag everytime i see a shot i want to take, or see something that requries quick action...

i also fear it bouncing against my chest, handing on a strap the whole time...

apologize if the topic has been covered just stink at searching...

but was curious what options others have done?
Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: Where do you stick your camera? - 05/07/10 12:45 AM

Would something like this work?

http://zpacks.com/accessories/shoulderpouch.shtml

Re: Where do you stick your camera? - 05/07/10 01:44 AM

i would need two or three...to carry the camera and the lenses seperatly..maybe they look slightly too small...i've heard of chestpacks? but have been failing at the internets as of late...
i thought about strapping something to my leg but figured after 50 miles my stride and or camera would take a beating from my poles
Posted by: scottyb

Re: Where do you stick your camera? - 05/07/10 07:25 AM

I use a harness by OP Tech. It has elastic to keep it close to your chest but allow you yo raise it for shooting. Here I am using it with a Tamarac bag and my Canon G9, but it works well with my S2 DSLR also. I like to have the camera available immediately.
Posted by: kbennett

Re: Where do you stick your camera? - 05/07/10 08:02 AM

Camera goes in a holster mounted on the shoulder harness with a couple of carabiners.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/holster-camera-bags.aspx

Extra stuff goes inside the pack in one of these:

http://www.adorama.com/MSKITCUBEBK.html

The Kit Cube is large enough to hold a 70-200mm lens (hood reversed), and a large flash unit and another lens. I use it in my day pack -- great design.

Re: Where do you stick your camera? - 05/07/10 11:27 AM

i'll have to check that out when work stops blocking the links grrrr...

i like the look of the chest strap in the picture...seems a bit small tho...

luckily ill probably just be bringing the body, a few battiries, flex tripod, and hoping to get away with one wide angle lens maybe 14-14?

what size lenses do you take?
Posted by: scottyb

Re: Where do you stick your camera? - 05/07/10 12:59 PM

I usually take a F/2.8 12-24 DX with my DSLR. The straps handle that well and keep it from swinging. I have a couple other F/2.8 lenses that might be too much for it but I wouldn't take them backpacking either. I also use the harness for binoculars when hunting.
Posted by: jasonklass

Re: Where do you stick your camera? - 05/10/10 09:09 AM

I like to keep my camera in my hip belt pockets. If your pack doesn't have them, you can probably order some from Mountain Laurel Designs to fit onto your pack's hip belts.

Re: Where do you stick your camera? - 05/11/10 09:55 AM

anyone have or ever use/hear about ops/tech straps n packs? they have some options i think may work