sleeping bag for large guy

Posted by: idahosteve

sleeping bag for large guy - 05/05/10 08:53 PM

I'm looking for info on high quality sleeping bags, either synthetic or down, that would fit a large guy. He goes about 6' and 280. Anyone had any experience with finding or using a bag that would fit this big of a guy? Thanks!
Posted by: OldScout

Re: sleeping bag for large guy - 05/05/10 08:59 PM

Look into the Western Mountainering (sp?) Megalite. Works for me.
Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: sleeping bag for large guy - 05/05/10 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By idahosteve
I'm looking for info on high quality sleeping bags, either synthetic or down, that would fit a large guy. He goes about 6' and 280. Anyone had any experience with finding or using a bag that would fit this big of a guy? Thanks!

You friend would be better of measuring his shoulder and hip girth, as well as getting his heigh measured (there is a world of a difference between 5'9 and 6ft when purchasing a bag). Then visit some websites and find a bag that would fit him and still leave room for him to get in with his insulation clothing.
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: sleeping bag for large guy - 05/06/10 12:44 AM

You/he may want to consider a quilt instead of a sleeping bag. And some bags can be effectively used as quilts.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: sleeping bag for large guy - 05/06/10 08:34 AM

Good idea, at least down to about 30 degrees. (That's as low as I've ever taken one; for all I know, you might be able to use them even lower.)

I tried the Thermarest Ventra, and liked it a great deal. However, it was half a pound heavier than my WM Mitylite, and both were rated as 40 degree bags. The Mitylite is actually a hoodless, semi-rectangular sleeping bag that can be zipped fully open to form a quilt; I find that I usually end up using it that way. Add some insulating clothing (in my case, down pants, hooded down jacket, down mittens, and down booties) and I can take it to 30 degrees. I never tried it with the Ventra.

I only took the Mitylite to 30 one time, as an experiment. When the temperatures are predicted to be lower than 40, I usually just take my Megalite.
Posted by: CWF

Re: sleeping bag for large guy - 05/06/10 11:29 AM

At 6' and 280, I can guarantee that his girth will be more than the WM bags can provide!!

Consider the Monbell Super Stretch or Spiral Stretch series and the Integral Designs 'Broad' bags (67" girth). You could also try a custom bag to fit from Feathered Friends.
Posted by: ConnallMac

Re: sleeping bag for large guy - 05/09/10 01:33 PM

As a big man myself, 6'3" and 380lbs, I have a tough time with sleeping bags myself. I have had the best luck with long bags that I have used as quilts. Typically I will put my feet in the footbox and zip it up to about my knees or so and then drape the rest over me like a blanket. Combine this with good layer of clothing and he should be pretty good!

Also, now that I hammock camp I just pull the footbox over the end of my ridge rest pad and it serves the dual purpose of keeping my pad and bag in place.
Posted by: frediver

Re: sleeping bag for large guy - 05/09/10 05:08 PM

Take a look at some of the Wiggys bags.
OR
Take two semi rectangular bags and zip them together to make one Large.
Posted by: CJC

Re: sleeping bag for large guy - 05/11/10 01:06 AM

I have a WM Megalite Long and I don't believe it would fit him at that size. The ones with a girth of 67 inches might work, but he needs to take measurements and see what they are. Most manufacturers will custom make bags for someone his size for a premium.
Posted by: bigwig

Re: sleeping bag for large guy - 05/12/10 11:43 AM

I'm 280 (recently down from 300!) and 6'1". The Big Agnes Summit Park (http://bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/SummitPark)is what I use and love. I also fit into a Montbell SuperStretch but don't like the footbox that much and I haven't seen these bags sold in a while.

Nothing from Western Mountaineering fit me, and I tried several of them. The problem comes when on your back and with your arms to your sides. Unfortunately, the widest part is often down around your elbows. Most bag manufactures only report the width at the shoulders and feet and the bags begin to taper after the shoulders. If it gets too tight around the middle then it compresses the insulation and makes you cold.

Re: sleeping bag for large guy - 05/12/10 11:47 AM

Yeah, let me say again that I don't think many of the people above are right. Nothing from Western Mountaineering or Integral designs will fit him. I also own and have tried bags from Feathered Friends and LLBean and haven't had any luck. Feathered Friends custom made me a Rock Wren that fit when I was about 260 but it only fits now if I keep my arms on the outside.

I made a quilt that works really well 3 season, if you're into doing something like that. Combined with my 25" pad it's really comfortable.
Posted by: CJC

Re: sleeping bag for large guy - 05/13/10 09:30 PM

That would be my suggestion is a quilt! Add a bomber down hat when it gets cold enough and snuggle in for a snooze.
Posted by: CWF

Re: sleeping bag for large guy - 05/18/10 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By bigwig
Yeah, let me say again that I don't think many of the people above are right. Nothing from Western Mountaineering or Integral designs will fit him. I also own and have tried bags from Feathered Friends and LLBean and haven't had any luck. Feathered Friends custom made me a Rock Wren that fit when I was about 260 but it only fits now if I keep my arms on the outside.

I made a quilt that works really well 3 season, if you're into doing something like that. Combined with my 25" pad it's really comfortable.

Wrong. The Integral Designs Broad designs will.

Re: sleeping bag for large guy - 05/20/10 12:03 PM

Originally Posted By CWF

Wrong. The Integral Designs Broad designs will.

No way. Well, I guess I don't know how he is shaped. I weigh 280 and my widest part is not my shoulders, which would fit just fine in a xpd-broad bag, but around the waist and elbows, which would not. The measurements on the ID bags are 68", 63", 45". Their middle circumference is 63" compared to 74.5" in the Big Agnes that I linked. The integral designs look about 2 inches wider than the Western Mountaineering at the middle (which I have tried and were definitely too small) so they may work. I think it will still pull a bit sleeping on the back with the elbows comfortably at the sides, but it may work. The Big Agnes, however, is much wider.