REI Flash 18

Posted by: Bushman

REI Flash 18 - 05/02/10 06:35 PM

So I bought an REI flash 18L with the dividend and have found it to be quite useful.
I originally bought it for fishing and mountain biking but have found out I can carry enough to go for an over nighter or even two night hike. Either a one night hike of some miles or a two day casual hike(dont need as much food.

Space is tight. I dont normally compress my bags but in this pack I do. The sleeping pad is attached on the out side with some stretch cord. I can fit the stove,fuel, tarp, cook gear, water, food and sleeping bag in there. Everything I would need for a normal trip. The one thing I lack is rope, just need to grab some for the food hanging.

Yes its very minimal, I only go out when I know the weather will be some what nice. I am not a fan of open air tarps all that much but the Cat Tarp I use is as small as I would go. Its roomy for two or three people pitched right.

Anyone else do this with a small pack? Makes me want to get a slight bigger pack to not have as bad of a space crunch.
Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: REI Flash 18 - 05/02/10 08:12 PM

I have been wanting to purchase a smaller and lighter pack for 3/4 day trips. I currently use a G4 which is a 65L pack and find that even with 4 days worth of food and my fishing gear, I still have ample left-over capacity.

I was looking at MLD's Burn (32L), but after looking at the Flash 18 I may pick it up since it is only 30 bucks-- I figure I may struggle to get more than two days worth of food into it; but for the cost it is worth a shot.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: REI Flash 18 - 05/02/10 10:03 PM

Buy some aftermarket side pockets and add them to the Flash 18.

I have a 2009 REI Cruise UL 60 and added REI's side pockets but REI doesn't sell them any more. They added 400 cu. in. each.

Eric
Posted by: Bushman

Re: REI Flash 18 - 05/03/10 03:24 PM

^^^.

Yeah man thats what I was thinking, no more water bottle inside the pack, and a storage pocket(s) on the other side...Ill get cracking on this and post pics.