Tarptent Double Rainbow Question

Posted by: forsciguy

Tarptent Double Rainbow Question - 04/25/10 09:49 PM

Hi,
I have a quick question about the netting on the Double Rainbow tent. I was wondering if it is completely enclosed when the doors are zipped. I have read that it was, but in several pictures and youtube videos I have seen it looks like there is an opening at each end where your head and feet would be. I cant tell if it is the lighting that just makes it look like there is no mesh connecting the floor or if in fact there is not. Any info would help
Thanks
Posted by: hshires

Re: Tarptent Double Rainbow Question - 04/25/10 10:26 PM

Completely enclosed -- same is true of all the Tarptent models. Black, no-see-um mesh is pretty transparent but there are no bug gaps.

-H
Posted by: forsciguy

Re: Tarptent Double Rainbow Question - 04/25/10 10:41 PM

Excellent!, Glad to hear. I'll be ordering it tonight.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Tarptent Double Rainbow Question - 04/25/10 10:43 PM

Kind of odd, but yes , from inside looking out in particular , the no-see-um mesh can look transparent.
I shot this quick video mostly to show a low pitch, but you can probably get a better feel of what the shelter is really like. Note that the mesh can look from black to totally clear as the camera pans around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv8Mxbpc1ac&feature=channel
Franco

Bit of trivia.
In theatre productions that "now you see it now you don't" effect is done with a sharktooth scrim, not that different from mesh netting. Depending where you light it from it is totally opaque or clear.
It is used to hide part of the stage to allow a new scene to be put into place and stuff like that.