help with tent pruchase

Posted by: 123

help with tent pruchase - 04/18/10 10:34 PM

I'm usually solo but flop around like a fish and I don't mind carrying an exrta pound for a 2 person. Looking at 3 season tarptents, msr's, rei, hilleberg, etc. Like to keep it cheap but will spend $'s since I won't be buying another backpacking tent for many years.

open to suggestions as I'm seriously shopping fo a nice 1 or 2 person lightwieght backpacking tent.
Posted by: Tango61

Re: help with tent pruchase - 04/18/10 11:21 PM

As this is your first post, you might not know about the SEARCH feature on these forums. It's up in the black title bar.
Just put in TENT and set the time frame for 1 year and you'll get lots of info. You can restrict to just titles or both titles and body of threads. It's a wonderful thing!

Most folks here lean toward TarpTents or SixMoonDesigns or use tarps.

Lots of info for the looking.
Posted by: 123

Re: help with tent pruchase - 04/19/10 01:02 AM

Thanks
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: help with tent pruchase - 04/19/10 01:16 AM

More detailed instructions for searching can be found on the sticky post by TomD at the beginning of the General Discussion section. You might want to search the last 2 years of the 2005-08 Archives, too.

If you haven't already found them, there are lots of excellent articles on gear selection listed in the left-hand column of http://www.backpacking.net/, the home page of this site.

Another good site for gear selection ideas is Mark Verber's website. Lots of ideas for gear, from the latest technology to ultra-low-budget alternatives. He keeps the site pretty up-to-date; I don't know how he does it! Also tons of links to reviews and other sites.
Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: help with tent pruchase - 04/19/10 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By 123
I'm usually solo but flop around like a fish and I don't mind carrying an exrta pound for a 2 person. Looking at 3 season tarptents, msr's, rei, hilleberg, etc. Like to keep it cheap but will spend $'s since I won't be buying another backpacking tent for many years.

open to suggestions as I'm seriously shopping fo a nice 1 or 2 person lightwieght backpacking tent.

If you want a more tailored response I would also include some information about the location(s) that you intend to be backpacking in, the times of year and weather conditions that you are likely to encounter. Height is also another useful tidbit of information.