UL repair kit

Posted by: gorge_medic

UL repair kit - 03/03/10 01:58 PM

So, I realized that I'm still lugging around the same field repair kit that I was using when I was a kid in the Boy Scouts. The main component was duct tape, because I figured I could use it on any of the fabrics I was carrying. Now, however, I'm using a LOT of silnylon gear (pack, poncho/tarp, tent, etc.), and I'm told that duct tape doesn't work too well on silnylon. Plus, I'm sure I could get rid of most of my old repair kit as stuff I don't need.

So what makes it into your repair kit? Is something around 3 oz. a reasonable expectation for a UL repair kit?
Posted by: Pika

Re: UL repair kit - 03/03/10 02:22 PM

Here is what is in mine.
Stow Sack 0.20 oz.
WP matches & fire-starters in vacuum packed container 0.48 oz
Sewing kit in ziplock-eyeglass screws and screwdriver 0.28 oz
Patches: Adhesive rip-stop, 4"x4"; silnylon, 4"x6";duct tape, 24". 0.44 oz total
Rubber bands, 5 assorted. 0.13 oz
Thermarest mattress repair kit (lightened) 0.58 oz
Sil-nylon repair kit (glue, brush and patches) 0.50 oz
Total weight 2.61 oz
Posted by: phat

Re: UL repair kit - 03/03/10 08:50 PM

I carry duct tape, and a large needle, and small needle "sewing kit". the large needle is a super old school suture needle with dental floss for thread. (the small one is a regular sewing needle and thread - with a few buttons) and safety pins.

I don't really expect to try to make watertight repairs to silnylon in the field.
Posted by: Tango61

Re: UL repair kit - 03/03/10 11:14 PM

I came across this in one of my catalogues and plan on ordering some. I'm sorry I don't a field test report but most of the stuff I've order from this company is top quality and field tested or they don't carry it.

Sail Patch Tape
http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/sear...ocessor=content

Tango61
Posted by: lori

Re: UL repair kit - 03/03/10 11:22 PM

when I got the NeoAir, I figured I should find a patch kit. The outside is not like the prolite or other self inflatables - it seems to be nylon. So I got a little tube of silicon and a brush, and a few patches. It will presumably work on a small tarp repair. I also have some zip ties, a couple rubber bands, extra cord (mason line, very light and strong), and duct tape. But not much duct tape.
Posted by: oldranger

Re: UL repair kit - 03/04/10 12:14 AM

I haave also been very satisfied with items I have ordered from Duluth Trading. They often have some killer deals on fleece, right around this time of year.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: UL repair kit - 03/04/10 03:08 PM

I stripped the insulation off some #14 flexible stranded green ground wire. I carry 6" worth, maybe 2 dozen wires, maybe less. They are the best way to fix eyeglasses if you lose the screws. and could be handy for other purposes. I have two miniatures screwdrivers a flat and a phillips, but no duct tape. I'd rather lose feathers and replace them than have glue from tape on my down gear. I quit carrying a needle and thread after a few decades of no use. I have no spare clevis pins for frame packs anymore, nor crazy glue, no leatherman. I frankly haven't had to repair anything that I was capable of repairing in the bush anyway. There is a patch kit in my big agnes sack. I used to carry a nozzle cleaner for my white gas stove but I think if its cleaned before a trip you don't have to carry one and its kinda sharp and hard to pack. I guess I'm not sure what would break that would matter that wouldn't require special tools anyway, something to do when you get home. A repair kit maybe a relic from another age not required anymore unless you're on expedition or maybe canoeing a long way. Like nobody carries bullet molds anymore or worries about keeping their powder horn dry.
Jim
Posted by: ringtail

Re: UL repair kit - 03/04/10 03:38 PM

Jim, you are right. My repair kit has ridden many miles in my pack with very little use. The only time I can remember using it is to help other people. I seldom use my compass, but would feel very insecure without it or the repair kit in the backcountry. I know you are right, but can NOT overcome my mental barrier.
Posted by: jasonklass

Re: UL repair kit - 03/04/10 10:06 PM

For repair, I carry very little (I carry more for first aid I suppose). Basically, some duct tape (packed flat), a very small sewing kit, some patches and adhesive if I'm carrying an inflating pad, a few small safety pins, and (of course) cordage.
Posted by: Tango61

Re: UL repair kit - 03/04/10 10:44 PM

Quote:
something to do when you get home

Along this same vein, there are things that I do before I leave like... put new batteries in my headlamp and don't carry spares.

Tango61