Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Pack

Posted by: CWF

Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Pack - 02/26/10 11:52 PM

Does anyone own one of these reincarnations?

www.rivendellmountainworks.com
Posted by: arolfsen

Re: Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Pack - 02/28/10 07:55 PM

1000d codura. it's gonna be heavy. looks very interesting. especially for the price.
Posted by: phat

Re: Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Pack - 02/28/10 08:14 PM

From 2 to 2 lbs 10 oz - depending on size, so while it is heavy, it's not a 7 pound monstrosity.

Re: Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Pack - 02/28/10 11:02 PM

Seems pretty light given the fabric and the fact that the 2010 Jam 2 (also frameless) is 2lbs. Gotta love 40 years of progress.
Posted by: arolfsen

Re: Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Pack - 03/01/10 10:14 AM

does anyone have better pictures of how these are laid out?
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Pack - 03/01/10 05:17 PM

Hmmm... Scotty, I believe we have entered a time warp. Check to see if we still have a trail of Unobtanium particles so we can "breadcrumb" our way back.

Bet I could look in one of my original Backpacker magazines (I have #s 1 thru 55 and then many more non-consecutive issues) and find a Jensen advertisement.

Re: Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Pack - 03/01/10 06:05 PM

Spring 1974 - review and winner there.......
Posted by: Ryan Heck

Re: Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Pack - 03/19/10 10:05 AM

Being a Grand Canyon hiker, I wanted a beefy pack that could take some serious abuse, silnylon makes me nervous for pack material.

I have two four night trips under my belt with my M Jensen pack and can say that the pack is as bomber as they come.

It carries well (25lb loads with water). The designer was famous for turning cartwheels with the pack on.

Here's a thread with plenty of pics
http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1061
Posted by: Davewyman

Re: Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Pack - 06/11/11 07:07 PM

I'm so late to the party!

I purchased a used version of the pack about 1974. Back then, it was marketed through the Great Pacific Iron Works, indicated by the label on the pack. It lasted for innumerable trips over the course of several decades. I purchased a new one about two years ago. I love it.

No, it's not the lightest pack. It's not heavy, either. It is bombproof, it's insanely comfortable, and it's stable when climbing or skiing. The new version does offer a few optional refinements that add a few ounces.
Posted by: Davewyman

Re: Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Pack - 06/11/11 07:10 PM

By the way, I also own the original Giant Jensen. It, too, has seen a lot of miles, including the summit of Mexico's Pico de Orizaba. If it wasn't still in such great shape, decades after I purchased it, I'd buy another.
Posted by: JPete

Re: Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Pack - 06/11/11 09:48 PM

Never owned a Jenson, but remember drooling over them, sometime around (I think) the late sixties. Didn't have the bucks then, but remember that the inventor was reputed to be almost as eccentric as Stephenson. Best, jcp
Posted by: Family Guy

Re: Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Pack - 06/16/11 04:21 PM

I recently received the RMW Marioposa. Retro at its finest!

[img:left][/img]