Nemo Gogo

Posted by: Jake28

Nemo Gogo - 02/24/10 07:15 PM

Hello everyone, I am interested in getting a nemo gogo for some solo backpacking. one thing worries me about the gogo, ive heard complaints of a dangerous amount of condesation. does anyone know from experience if this is a real problem? Ive really had my heart set on the gogo for awhile now but if it is a real problem i may have to go in another direction. thanks
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Nemo Gogo - 02/24/10 07:55 PM

I love my Gogo!!! Probably spent more nights out in it last year than all my other shelters combined.

I don't know what level condensation has to reach to become "dangerous" but I can assure you that you won't drown in a Gogo!!!

Will you experience condensation in this shelter? I can almost assure you of that. How much? Like anything else, it depends. I used mine in the Grand Canyon with just the netting and had almost none. I also used it buttoned up in the rain and I did experience moderate but completely acceptable (for me) levels of condensation. That's the price you pay for the simplicity and lightness of a single wall shelter. It was nothing I could not dispatch with the wipe of a bandana and remember that was under the worst conditions.

I have other W/B single wall shelters (Epic fabric BD One Shot and First Light, Goretex Military bivy, REI Minimalist Bivy)and the Gogo is no worse in the condensation department than any of them. And it's far better than a well ventilated but non-breathable shelter like my Lunar Solo.

The only scenario when I would not want this bivy/tent because of its condensation issues would be an extended trip in daily damp rainy weather when nothing has a chance to dry out. But I can also say that about any single wall shelter.

Go for it. It's a great shelter. Just don't play with your knife or your crampons inside or you may puncture the "pole" LOL!!!

Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Nemo Gogo - 02/26/10 01:03 AM

I dunno.

Took a look at the Gogo and specs. I'd rather have my Moment for virtually the same weight and a LOT more room (plus a nice vestibule).

Eric
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Nemo Gogo - 02/26/10 03:10 AM

The Gogo is not the lightest shelter per square foot of floor space but it is very warm and it allows me to get away with a thinner sleeping bag. I actually like the closed in feeling. Maybe I'm part dog LOL!!! Is there a word for the opposite of claustrophobia? It works well for Sierra summers where temps can dip below freezing in August. It can be configured with a small vestibule....if you're not too tall. I'm 5'10' so it works well for me.

Another big plus for me.......I HATE breaking down camp. But I can pack up the Gogo in under 30 seconds. Just pull out the sleep pad, open the air valve, and roll it up. The sleeping bag stays inside, protected by the waterproof fabric. No need for a stuff sack. The whole thing gets stuffed into the bottom of my pack.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Nemo Gogo - 02/26/10 05:13 PM

Claustrophilia
Posted by: Jake28

Re: Nemo Gogo - 02/27/10 12:20 AM

thanks for all the input. i think i will probably give the gogo a go. if i dont like it i can always exchange for something else i guess.

in what conditions are moisture going to be the biggest problem?