Ice Breaker tops, how light?

Posted by: hikerduane

Ice Breaker tops, how light? - 02/18/10 10:48 AM

How light of a weight works for wearing with a pack? I have been thinking of getting some Ice Breaker tops, is the Super fine 140 ok? So many weights.
Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: Ice Breaker tops, how light? - 02/18/10 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By hikerduane
How light of a weight works for wearing with a pack? I have been thinking of getting some Ice Breaker tops, is the Super fine 140 ok? So many weights.

I am not quite sure what your question is. Are you wanting to know if the 140 will resist wear and the direct abrasion of a pack, when no mid or outer-layer is being worn?

Or are you wanting to know which weight of Ibex is better suited for your backpacking needs? i.e temp ranges and season outtings etc.

Re: Ice Breaker tops, how light? - 02/18/10 03:58 PM

As the only layer in summer conditions in the Sierra temps from 40-80 during the day. I was looking at all the weights and the Tech Lite shirt is down to Superfine 140, some places it is 150. Trying to get something that will hold up to the abrasion of wearing a pack and will dry out when washed in the afternoon. It would be rotated with another shirt. I was at the end of my lunch, so couldn't post much info on the original post. I have a set of heavier Ice Breaker stuff which worked out great in Yosemite over NY's.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Ice Breaker tops, how light? - 02/18/10 10:51 PM

I do not use my wool layers to hike in when I am in the Sierra. I have two Ibex tops - given as gifts. These are my warmth layers - not hiking shirts. One problem I have with any clingy clothing, wool or any other fabric, are mosquitoes - they all bite through these. I use a very loose hiking shirt - actually the Columbia XL boys shirts with the bellows pockets. These keep the mosquitoes from biting. Maybe guys who have more body hair do not have this problem. I also hate DEET and prefer not to have to spray myself with chemicals.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Ice Breaker tops, how light? - 02/18/10 11:15 PM

Hikerduane
I use the 140,190 and 200 as a base and often only layer. The 140 is my newest but it is over 3 years old. I purchased that as soon as it arrived here, well before the US release. So far I have not seen any difference in wear and tear but my shoulder straps hardly touch my shoulders.
Franco

Re: Ice Breaker tops, how light? - 02/19/10 08:45 AM

Thank you, forgot about the mosquitoes. I do have a couple shirts I sprayed with permethrin a few years ago, that are only used for bp trips. Well the Ice Breaker shirts are over $50, waiting for the REI Dividend sale that starts soon, probably the weekend I do a two night, three day trip thru Desolation. If I am poor gear wise, it is in the bp clothing department. A little of this and that. I'll take a look at the Ibex clothing tonight, so many choices of manufacturers. What I like and have heard, is the Ice Breaker stuff does not hold odor, even when not washed and that was by a young lady who was with our group in Yosemite over NY's and at Lassen a few weeks ago. She is one of the many gear testers in our group.

Re: Ice Breaker tops, how light? - 02/19/10 10:46 AM

Originally Posted By hikerduane
Thank you, forgot about the mosquitoes. I do have a couple shirts I sprayed with permethrin a few years ago, that are only used for bp trips. Well the Ice Breaker shirts are over $50, waiting for the REI Dividend sale that starts soon, probably the weekend I do a two night, three day trip thru Desolation. If I am poor gear wise, it is in the bp clothing department. A little of this and that. I'll take a look at the Ibex clothing tonight, so many choices of manufacturers. What I like and have heard, is the Ice Breaker stuff does not hold odor, even when not washed and that was by a young lady who was with our group in Yosemite over NY's and at Lassen a few weeks ago. She is one of the many gear testers in our group.

My personal favorite line is Patagonia's Merino, but too be honest pretty much all merino wool products resist odor exceptionally well and thus you may be able to a more budget friendly line of products on Cabela's, STP etc.

Re: Ice Breaker tops, how light? - 02/19/10 11:51 AM

HD,

This was posted on the BPL forum for sales on Patagonia and Ibex layers.

http://www.apsltd.com/c-4750-SaleRack.aspx

Capilene 1 $20
Pro-wick, Henri-lloyd, Musto long and short sleeve lots avail, cheap 50-60% off retail price!!
Patagonia Sol-Patrol long sleeve button shirts $44.40
http://www.apsltd.com/c-4865-technicalshirts.aspx

Ibex merino wool short sleeve $47.20 (normally $92)
Ibex midlayers tops and bottoms $72-$77 (normal price $130-$140)
Ibex baselayer crew long sleeve $36.10 (normal price $65)
Lots more Ibex for men AND women 40-50% off here

NB: I have never used this company and have no affiliation with it or the original post on BPL.