Evazote vs. Ridgerest?

Posted by: thecook

Evazote vs. Ridgerest? - 02/10/10 11:38 PM

I spent three days in the Boundary Waters last weekend. Friday night got down around -10F and when I packed up, my 28 year old ensolite pad cracked and broke. Guess it is time to replace it grin Has anyone used Evazote (e.g. GG's nightlight) to compare to a Ridgerest. I'm leaning toward the Ridgerest Deluxe for the width right now but keep hearing about evazote.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Evazote vs. Ridgerest? - 02/11/10 12:58 AM

I have a Ridgerest and it's warmer than flat CCF pads because the ridges and valleys create more thickness and more comfort. The little valleys under your bag becone "heat traps" compared to a flat mattress.

Usually winter campers use TWO mattresses, laugh a Ridgerest or Z Rest beneath their regular Thermarest.

Eric
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Evazote vs. Ridgerest? - 02/11/10 09:01 AM

Can't speak for -10 weather but I really like my Ridgerest. I've got 3 Thermorests and blue foam pads that rarely see the light of day anymore. I hammocked in 27 deg. weather a couple weeks ago and it was toasty.
Posted by: thecook

Re: Evazote vs. Ridgerest? - 02/11/10 09:39 AM

I use two, or sometimes three, pads. A thermarest full length, the ensolite pad, now defunct, and sometimes a torso length blue foam pad. It is the ensolite that I need to replace.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Evazote vs. Ridgerest? - 02/11/10 12:58 PM

I have the torso lenght Gossamer Gear pad for my pack, never used it for its main usage. I do have the sit pad, which is very warm to use on snow while sitting around. Very flexible. Never had them out in subzero temps yet.
Posted by: BarryP

Re: Evazote vs. Ridgerest? - 02/11/10 06:22 PM

“I'm leaning toward the Ridgerest Deluxe…”

The Deluxe has different specs than the regular; 19 vs 14oz.
http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/camp-and-comfort/ridge-rest-deluxe/product
If I remember, I thought one of our members switched his home bed over to the ridgerest deluxe (RD).

That got me thinking that if I ever really needed a bombproof comfortable pad, maybe the RD is the best. I would have to accept the bulk and enjoy nothing to blow up.

But my 9oz neoair is sure light, comfy, and packs small. But I don’t think it’s as bombproof.

Hmmm. The RD; should I get one for testing?...

-Barry