Food bag ideas wanted

Posted by: bmwrider

Food bag ideas wanted - 02/03/10 09:22 PM

I already know about the ursack and would like to look at other options.
I have been backpacking for many years now and have always used a simple stuff sack for my food bag, I would like to try a few things this year to see what I like.
What do you use now and or what have you seen that is a good idea?

by the way I do plan to try the ursack but I'm waiting for a good deal on one.
Posted by: phat

Re: Food bag ideas wanted - 02/03/10 09:32 PM

I generally use one of two things:

1) a simple light nylon sack, run up on bear hangs, or hung with pct method on a limb.

2) an ursack - tied with figure 8 knot to a tree.

I typically use 1) if I'm going somewhere with bear hangs or lockers, rather than take the weight of the ursack. If I'm random camping, or there is no bear facilities, I like the ursack because it's just easy and I'm lazy smile
Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: Food bag ideas wanted - 02/03/10 09:46 PM

Same deal as Phat. Either a simple Sil-Nylon stuff sack that weighs less than an ounce or an Ursack.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Food bag ideas wanted - 02/03/10 11:36 PM

Umm cool
I use those thin plastic food bags that the food comes in from the grocery store. There is no lighter bag, they're way strong and have handles to tie the haul rope to. And they're cheap, like free and afterwards I can use it to clean up after my dog. smile
Jim crazy
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Food bag ideas wanted - 02/03/10 11:44 PM

I use an Ursack a lot too. An interesting space is being carved out now by a couple of competitors for lighter weight bags that are "critter proof" but not bear proof. Ursack is one of these with their new Ursack Minor. But the new UL version of the Outsak is pretty light too, lighter than the traditional Outsak as well as competitors (Ratsak, Grubpack).

Line either Ursack Minor or the Outsak UL with an Aloksak O.P. (odor proof) sack, and the result isn't too heavy, yet reduces your odds of unhappy results in the woods.
Posted by: oldranger

Re: Food bag ideas wanted - 02/04/10 10:24 AM

No one makes a TITANIUM food sack? Marketing alert...
Posted by: lori

Re: Food bag ideas wanted - 02/04/10 12:13 PM

Roughly half of my trips I have to use a bear canister. The rest of the time I've been using a stuff sack I sewed a loop to, hanging to keep rodents/raccoons out. I may get an Ursack for when I do part of the PCT later this year, north of Yosemite/SEKI and without bear canister requirements.