Backpack

Posted by: mi77915

Backpack - 01/16/10 04:18 PM

Hi, I am new here and new to backpacking. Up until now, I have only taken some short day hikes, only about an hour or two. I find that I am in need of a backpack, but not sure what to get. I am on somewhat of a budget and can't really spend a lot. I will need to carry a DSRL camera and of course, most of the basic essentials. My plan is to hike some of my local trails that are only about 3 to 5 miles in length, nothing much more then that. I have been looking at the Gregory Z22 pack. In your opinion, would this pack fit my needs?

Tom
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Backpack - 01/16/10 04:58 PM

If it's just a 3-5 mile hike, you should be able to use any backpack. Do you have one from being a student? Unless you're bringing tons of lenses, that's probably good enough.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Backpack - 01/16/10 06:34 PM

On the home page of this site are a whole bunch of articles listed in the lefthand column, many having to do with gear selection.

It's generally advised to acquire the rest of your gear first and your pack last, so your pack can be bought to fit your gear rather than the other way around. In the meantime, borrowing or renting are possibilities.

If your trips are 3-5 miles, aren't you dayhiking rather than doing overnight backpacking? That would make a difference. For dayhiking, any inexpensive pack that fits comfortably will do. The term "backpacking" generally means going out with enough gear to camp overnight.
Posted by: Ender

Re: Backpack - 01/17/10 12:39 PM

If it's short trips, mostly any backpack will do. If you're carrying a lot of heavy camera gear, try to get one with a hip strap... it will allow at least some of the weight to come off of your shoulders and be redistributed to your hips... which makes for a much more comfortable hike. How much weight is transfered depends on the design of the pack, but it's something to look for.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Backpack - 01/17/10 08:22 PM

I agree with the other answers here...and would also point out that you can often find a nice external frame pack at a thrift shop. Saw one the other day, a Kelty that weighed under three pounds and was for sale for $6.

Can't beat that, especially for the kinds of trips you are considering.