Best price on...

Posted by: orclwzrd

Best price on... - 01/06/10 03:16 PM

Ok, this will probably exceed my silly question quota but here goes. Who's got the best price on 8x10 silnylon tarps? I see Campmor has one for 69.99. While I'm at it, best price for a Thermarest ProLite Plus regular size? I've got Christmas money in my pocket from the Mother in Law and want to stretch it as far as possible.

John
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Best price on... - 01/06/10 06:56 PM

I just bought a Thermarest prolight plus 4 at Dicks sporting goods for 68.00 in store!
Posted by: OldScout

Re: Best price on... - 01/06/10 06:57 PM

Why don't you try to "Froogle" it on the internet?
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Best price on... - 01/06/10 07:22 PM

Searching for "silnylon" doesn't work very well for me. I've had better luck searching for products by their name.
Posted by: Tango61

Re: Best price on... - 01/06/10 10:46 PM

You might want to check out:

www.jacksrbetter.com
www.speerhammocks.com (also has instructions for making your own).
www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

You can also go over to www.hammockforums.net and look in the "for sale" forum. Members there often have equipment for sale.

Tango61
Posted by: OldScout

Re: Best price on... - 01/07/10 11:31 AM

I froggled "8 by 10 silnylon tarp" and got serveral hits including Granite Gear's tarps and Gossamer Gear's tarps as well as several sponsored links to websites specializing in tarps.
Posted by: ringtail

Re: Best price on... - 01/07/10 11:42 AM

Tarps with grommets rather than guy loops are cheap for a reason.
Posted by: chimpac

Re: Best price on... - 01/07/10 12:03 PM

I cannot get my tarp tight to the ground with loops and gromets should be 2 or 3 inches from the edge. Reinforced nail holes 3" from the edges is the best if you are serious about keeping out the wind.

Re: Best price on... - 01/07/10 02:36 PM

Best I can find on an 8 x 10 silnylon tarp is the 69.99 at campmor for their equinox.

Can't find anyone that sells regular size prolite plus for anything other than 99.95. Thermarest has good control on that market apparently.

I'm not quite ready to make one my own yet.

thanks for all the suggestions.

John
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Best price on... - 01/07/10 03:51 PM

Re the Thermarest, if that's what you want, look for closeouts on the old models (2009 saw a bunch of new models) at places like Sierra Trading Post and the various outlets. Check the "Other TLB Sponsors" list in the left-hand column of this page. Also watch for 20% off coupons at places like backcountry.com and REI.

Re: Best price on... - 01/07/10 09:45 PM

I thought I saw on Ed Speer's site, SpeerHammocks, that he had 8x10 rectangular tarps on sale for $45.

You can't beat that! He is very reputable.

Tango61

Re: Best price on... - 01/08/10 08:41 AM

alas! it's a kit, I'm not quite ready for MYOG stuff.

Thanks bunches, that is a great price though!
Posted by: scottyb

Re: Best price on... - 01/08/10 08:45 AM

Originally Posted By Tango61

I thought I saw on Ed Speer's site, SpeerHammocks, that he had 8x10 rectangular tarps on sale for $45.

You can't beat that! He is very reputable.

Tango61

Speer Hammocks Scroll down to the 8' x 10' rectangular.

Re: Best price on... - 01/08/10 09:52 PM

Oops, sorry I didn't notice that it was the kit. Sewing a tarp isn't really that difficult. I made two cat-cut tarps. Sewing silnylon is a little challenging as it is so slick, but with a little practice you can pick it up.

Here is another site that has some for $50 and $60 (with free shipping).

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

I carry the Jungle hammock but I use my self-made tarp rather than the diamond fly that came with it.