Lighthouse vestibule

Posted by: Paul

Lighthouse vestibule - 12/03/09 11:49 PM

If anyone out there has a BD Lighthouse and the vestibule, I'd like to know how hte vestibule attaches to the tent. I'm thinking of making a vestibule for my Lighthouse, but I've never seen the vestibule so it's not clear to me hos it attaches. I see the loops on the tent, but that leaves a lot of possibilities open.
Posted by: Rick

Re: Lighthouse vestibule - 12/04/09 06:43 AM

I used cordlock toggles that fit through the loops on the tent. A short piece of Gross Grain ribbon sewn to the vestibule goes through the toggle and than the toggle through the loop. I tied a stopper knot to the outside of the toggle to prevent the Gross Grain from pulling free.

The vestibule I made is very simple. It is two pieces of triangular shaped silnylon that is staked away from the tent at the apex. Along the apex is a zipper. The edge of the vestibule tucks up under the tent overhang and is held to the tent with cordlock toggles. I did not use any poles. It's big enough for one pack and boots. It's very cramped for two packs and two sets of boots. It weighs about 4 oz. keeping the overall weight of the tent and vestibile under 4 lb. And, best of all, it's bombproof - works very well.

If you need pictures I could post some over the weekend.

Posted by: Paul

Re: Lighthouse vestibule - 12/04/09 09:47 PM

Sounds similar in shape to one of my ideas. The other idea is a half vestibule - or actually about a 5/8 vestibule, which would be reversible. I'd pitch it on the end that seems likely to be into the wind, just to give a little shelter for muddy shoes and a way to protect the door when getting in and out. that's all I really need, since I have found it comfortable enough to fit two guys and our gear into the tent. Ideally I'd make one like you made AND the half unit, and use whichever suits the trip best. But the real question is do I go for the old reliable silnylon, or spend some green on the spinnaker to save a little more weight?
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Lighthouse vestibule - 12/04/09 10:36 PM

Paul
regarding materials for the vestibule. I have a Bibler Eldorado which is where your tent design originated. The vestibule takes a real thrashing in a bad blow and icing in the top is a drag if you have to use the vestibule to get in and out. Use the most rigid material and the one that may ice up less. Holding its shape will be critical if you have to cook in it in a storm.

Also in a tiny vestibule, digging down can give you a place to sit in the front of the tent while pulling on your boots in a "sump" in front of you and give you more clearance for a stove.
Jim crazy
Posted by: ndsol

Re: Lighthouse vestibule - 12/05/09 12:17 AM

The design for the Lighthouse is from the Bibler Ahwahnee, not the Eldorado.