Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil

Posted by: Zalman

Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 11/23/09 08:04 PM

An anti-inflammatory dose of ibuprofen (Advil, etc) is 800mg, 3 times daily. That's 2400mg per day! Compare this to naproxen (Alleve, etc), a similarly effective anti-inflammatory drug taken in 440mg doses, twice daily, for a total of 880mg per day. Almost 1/3 the weight of vitamin I.

No wonder people lugging around a bottle of Anvil Advil get sore backs!
Posted by: CWF

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 11/23/09 08:56 PM

I'm speechless.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 11/23/09 09:11 PM

Which gets me to thinking: thread is also pretty heavy. When you consider how much thread is needed to put all those seams together, maybe we should rip them out - a few staples should hold everything together well.

I think you just invented double-secret-hyper-ultralight hiking. goodjob
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 11/23/09 09:48 PM

glenn
Seams? You can't wear clothes and be UHL.

Zaldude
You should be ashamed _ carrying first aid.

CWF - you got it right _ speechless is lighter.

Why would you carry an anvil anyway?
Jim YMMV crazy
Posted by: DJ2

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 11/24/09 12:20 AM

Jimshaw,

Hilarious synopsis.

Thanks.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 11/24/09 06:53 AM

What?! Jim synopped?

Oh, well, we all knew it was inevitable. We should have seen it coming when he started cleaning out his gear closet (see the Dumpster thread.) grin

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.
Posted by: sabre11004

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 11/24/09 11:59 AM

Okay guys, on a serious note...I think that Advil would be a more multi-purpose pain reliever than Alieve would be. Alieve seems to work well on muscle and joint pain but Advil can help with other pains too such as a "flaming headache". We all know that Jimshaw would much rather have a multi-purpose piece of gear than not, so I vote for the Advil...sabre11004... goodjob
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 11/24/09 01:43 PM

Great weight comparison Zalman. But, some people are allergic to alleve (my father). Of course, some people are allergic to advil. Choose your poison wisely I guess.
Posted by: midnightsun03

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 11/24/09 04:27 PM

Holy cow, Jim, you're really taking this ultralight thing seriously! Even your answers have gotten ultralight!

wink whistle grin cool
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 11/24/09 08:44 PM

On a serious note, I'm seeing quite a few warnings lately about ibuprofen. One, that it can actually retard healing of stress injuries per this NY TImes article. . Another potential problem is that ibuprofen can interact with some blood pressure meds, causing dangerous side effects including kidney failure. It behooves all of us to keep track of what we are taking, research possible interactions--I know from experience that doctors don't always tell us!
Posted by: oldranger

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 11/24/09 08:53 PM

What's the matter with just plain old aspirin? Granted you can have a bad reaction to it, just like any substance, but isn't it a rather broad spectrum med?

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 11/24/09 09:07 PM

Midnight - yep thanks

OR - if you take Diamox aspirin can kill ya.

Mouse - my doctor said ibuprofin causes bleeding - not a good thing to take when injured.
Jim
Posted by: ringtail

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 11/25/09 10:46 AM

Thank you for making my day a little better.

Must be most people do not look at the posting icon.
Posted by: lori

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 11/25/09 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By Jimshaw

OR - if you take Diamox aspirin can kill ya.

If you have a sulfa allergy, Diamox can kill ya!

I take aspirin. Along with caffeine and acetaminophen - Excedrin migraine pills are the bee's knees if I start to feel one "comin' on". goodjob
Posted by: Shrike

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 11/30/09 12:41 PM

Heck, why bring any of those. Just pack in the leftover vicodin from your last surgery. It will work much better than any of the previously mentioned drugs. crazy cool

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 11/30/09 02:24 PM

Vicodin has Tylenol in it, so make sure you don't take anything else with Tylenol!

My ex took a couple of doses of Dilauded (hydromorphone - powerful drug) after knee surgery then sat in front of the Travel Channel. A few months later he saw some of the same programs that he'd watched "under the influence" and started remarking about how odd it was that there was a TV show that mirrored one of our trips. I mentioned that our "trip" had been in his head because he'd seen the same show during his recovery but he didn't believe me. It took a while but I finally convinced him that there was no way we could possibly have done the trip in question. So, ever since then I've told people who are on morphine or dilaudid to be careful what they watch on TV while on the drug lest they have vivid memories of experiencing something they didn't really experience! Brought a new meaning to the word "trip"... LOLOL.

If you have an injury, anti-inflamatories are very important. The chemicals that produce inflammation can cause systemic problems and create a pain cycle that can be hard to break. It is a difficult thing to navigate - anti-inflammatories, if used too long, can cause pain upon withdrawel. Many people who take ibuprofen for chronic headaches find that they get rebound headaches when they go off the med. Same with caffeine.

It is true that ibuprofen causes bleeding as it is a blood thinner, just like aspirin. If you konk yourself on the head bad enough to knock yourself out, it is REALLY REALLY important to NOT take aspirin or ibuprofen for the next several days (72 hours at least). If there is any blood vessel damage in the brain from the injury, taking these meds could cause a brain bleed. Tylenol is ok though, and you WILL have a headache.

MNS
Posted by: Shrike

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 11/30/09 04:10 PM

I was just making a joke about the vicodin. My dad had surgery a while back and was sent home with some vicodin. He doesnt remember a whole lot about the days after the surgery. Its crazy stuff and definitely not a good thing to bring on a trip LOL. crazy

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 11/30/09 10:42 PM

Midnight
Interesting story.
I was reading some material about the chemistry of false memory and about women in particular who start to have memories about being abused as a child ans they swear it was true. There have been court cases like a woman suddenly remembering (although she will swear she always remembered) that her father murdered someone, and finally it was proven that he didn't, yet she "knows it did happen".
Jim And I do carry vicodin.

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 12/01/09 11:04 PM

Actually, Vicodin is a great thing to carry on a trip, but you have to make sure only YOU use it. People can have allergies to it, not to mention it is illegal to give it to anyone else.

MNS

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 12/01/09 11:19 PM

Midnight
When a buddy was severly injured climbing I felt obligated to inform him that there might just be vicodin in my first aid kit. Whether he "stole" any I'm not sure as I don't count the tabs... goodjob
Jim crazy
Posted by: bigfoot2

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 12/02/09 10:32 AM

Midnight
When a buddy was severly injured climbing I felt obligated to inform him that there might just be vicodin in my first aid kit. Whether he "stole" any I'm not sure as I don't count the tabs... goodjob
Jim crazy

You sure that's all you've got in there, Jim? wink

BF cool

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 12/02/09 03:39 PM

BF
Actually I carry the desicated body of Jimmy Hoffa in there for voodoo purposes.
Jim
Posted by: bigb

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 12/02/09 07:17 PM

thats offensive to voodoo practioners, Hoffa being associated with organized labor and such

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 12/02/09 08:46 PM

Jim, I almost inhaled my Nerds (late afternoon sugar rush)

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 12/02/09 09:20 PM

BF
I carry the desicated body of Jimmy Hoffa
Jim

DESICATED confused ...like for when you get a diaper rash? OOOOOOOH...SNAP!

BF cool

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 12/03/09 01:34 AM

BF
"DESICATED ...like for when you get a diaper rash? OOOOOOOH...SNAP!"

No BF, life when you wear a kilt hiking through poison oak - duh.
Jim

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 12/03/09 10:34 AM

BF

Jim

"You keep using that word...i do not think it means what you think it means" grin

BF cool
I bet Jim doesn't get this one.
Posted by: OldScout

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 12/03/09 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By bigfoot2
BF

Jim

"You keep using that word...i do not think it means what you think it means" grin

BF cool

OOOHHH
OOOHHH
OOOHHH
I do
I do

Call on me
Call on me

"Princess Bride?!?!?!?!"
Right?
RIGHT?
Do I win the Prize?????

Posted by: finallyME

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 12/03/09 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By OldScout
Originally Posted By bigfoot2
BF

Jim

BF cool

OOOHHH
OOOHHH
OOOHHH
I do
I do

Call on me
Call on me

"Princess Bride?!?!?!?!"
Right?
RIGHT?
Do I win the Prize?????

I am mailing you a cookie right now.
Posted by: bigb

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 12/03/09 07:14 PM

Obviously the fire swamp will be the next forum member hike
Posted by: OldScout

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 12/03/09 07:18 PM

LOL, and watch out for the R.U.S.s
Posted by: Boomer

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 12/04/09 01:20 PM

im interested! in the forum member hike where do i sign up
Posted by: Jim M

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 12/05/09 12:01 PM

yes, i agree that the two products shouldn't be generalized into one category. I did a little (very little actually) research on these types of OTC drugs and found the warnings very different. Some are actually not recommended by the American Heart Association (but the AHA did like aspirin!). Jim
Posted by: Chris Witzgall

Re: Ultralight? Better ditch that Advil - 12/09/09 01:37 PM

Are you weighing the tablets, or just the weight of the active ingredient? I imagine they are not the same.

Chris