Montbell Air Pillow

Posted by: bigsac

Montbell Air Pillow - 11/18/09 03:19 PM

I just bought a Montbell Air Pillow at a garage sale for $15. Is that a good price? It appears to be brand new and the lady I bought it from said she had only used it twice. It packs down flatter than a pancake and feels like it weighs about 2 oz. It comes with a repair kit. I've tried it at home and it's much more comfortable than a stuff sack full of clothes.
Posted by: Bigchiefrules

Re: Montbell Air Pillow - 11/18/09 05:31 PM

Try this link:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/...Leesa%20Joiner/

Looks like they sell for $29 dollars or so.
Posted by: drow42

Re: Montbell Air Pillow - 11/18/09 08:22 PM

no, its a horrible deal. You should sell it to me for $10. Don't worry, its the new math.

Good score.
Posted by: Dondo

Re: Montbell Air Pillow - 11/18/09 09:22 PM

You got a great deal, bigsac. Mine always comes with me, even when I'm watching the ounces. Enjoy.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Montbell Air Pillow - 11/18/09 09:58 PM

I have found the air pillows too hard, I have a couple that air up using a straw inserted in a slit, pull the straw out to keep it inflated.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Montbell Air Pillow - 11/19/09 12:29 AM

Last year I found a birthday balloon while backpacking - one of those mylar balloons. I tied it to my pack - it floated above my pack (no weight) and slept on it for two nights until it finally deflated. Free and no weight. Cannot beat that. And it was very comfortable too! I brought it out so I also earned environmental clean-up points.
Posted by: Boomer

Re: Montbell Air Pillow - 11/19/09 08:52 AM

thats some pretty serious trail magic! wandering daisy!
Posted by: Zalman

Re: Montbell Air Pillow - 11/19/09 10:57 AM

I think you're on to something big here, Daisy. I predict that in the future ultralight backpackers will revert to carrying huge packs, mostly filled with helium.
Posted by: bigsac

Re: Montbell Air Pillow - 11/19/09 12:45 PM

That's funny Daisy, I might have to try that sometime. I passed the half century mark a while back, it seems like comfort is becoming more of an issue, even if it means carrying a few extra oz. for an air pillow. I am a side sleeper with wide shoulders, and I needed something to prop my head up in line with my spine. The Montbell seems to do the trick, especially if I put it on my NeoAir instead of off the end.
Posted by: Jim M

Re: Montbell Air Pillow - 11/19/09 02:31 PM

I have those "straw to fill" pillows too. I fill them all the way up for reading in the sac by head light at night and then let out 50% of the air for sleeping. When I wake up in the morning the pillow has usually shifted and not under my head any longer, but so what, I didn't know because I was sleeping. I also find it quite satisfactory to put my pants and shirt in the sleeping bag stuff sack and use if for a pillow. It keeps them relatively dry and warm too.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Montbell Air Pillow - 11/19/09 07:52 PM

I use my sleeping bag stuff sack that way also. The air pillow crushes my ear so there is the comfort factor also. I don't sleep well anywhere.
Posted by: MrPhotographer06

Re: Montbell Air Pillow - 11/22/09 11:32 AM

i've never had neck problems camping, but now i intend to use my new dromlite water bladders for pillows