New gear

Posted by: idahosteve

New gear - 11/13/09 04:19 PM

I'm new to this UL forum, not really new to packing light, but as a now retired climber the joke was always that we carried 50lbs of the worlds lightest stuff! Its truly amazing what a difference not having climbing gear has made in the last year of hiking. I am really looking forward to many more miles without the big loads.
I just took the leap and upgraded my pack and tent to a SMD Lunar Duo and Starlite and am really excited to begin thrashing it about here in Idaho.
Wanted to know who else has been using SMD gear and their feedback.
Posted by: mugs

Re: New gear - 11/13/09 09:48 PM

I have one of the original (2005) editions fo the SMD lunar solo and love it. It is by far my fave tent if I am not going to take a tarp.
By the way where at in Idaho do you live. If you close to my area (Spokane) maybe we could hook up some time.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: New gear - 11/13/09 10:14 PM

I have had my Starlite for one season now. It has been working great. I have some soreness on my collar bone?, but nothing like a major soreness and that is with a pack weight over what is intended, like in the 35 lb. range. My Bearicade Weekender canister works in it too. I initially thought I had a problem, but it was my first time packing it.

Re: New gear - 11/13/09 11:11 PM

I am located West of Boise at the edge of the desert. I have spent a lot of time in the Sawtooths, and pretty much know them inside and out. By all means if you are wanting to get this way we can hook up, and there should be some other cool stuff 1/2 way between to check out as well. I know that I'm interested in Gospel Hump as well.
Cheers!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: New gear - 11/14/09 08:34 PM

I have a 2005 SMD Comet backpack, 27 ounces including the "optional" (mandatory, IMHO) aluminum stays. I have pressure-sensitive shoulders so badly need those load-lifters, which don't work very well without the stays. I've carried up to 37 lbs. with it. My shoulders, back and hips were fine, although my feet and knees were screaming. My normal load is 20-25 lbs, but last summer when my dog got sick I carried most of his food and water, so was again up to 30 lbs. for a day. Unfortunately the Comet has been discontinued. Too bad, because the internal pad pocket is great for those of us using air pads and I don't need the capacity of the Starlight. I don't use the extension collar of the Comet even when going out for 10 days.

I tried the SMD Lunar Solo for a couple of summers, but then sold it. When they call it a solo tent, they mean just that--it is not designed for solo human plus 80-lb. dog! It wasn't just space, but that the two of us completely overwhelmed the ventilation system, resulting in major condensation.

Re: New gear - 11/14/09 09:05 PM

Well I just recieved my Lunar Duo in todays mail, and I am really impressed with its initial size. The sheer volume of the floor looks amazing, and I really like the area that is devoted to bug netting/ventilation.
I am a bit concerned that I will have to learn to pitch it in more "forgiving" locations as the floor does look a bit tender, and I have the std floor option.
Overall I'm really liking what I see.
Posted by: Jim M

Re: New gear - 12/07/09 02:13 PM

Steve,
I was not familiar with SMD, but when I looked it up it looks like great stuff. I have used tarps and tarp tents and find them fully functional for most weather conditions. It is partly psychological, but I still prefer a double wall tent for snow camping. I'm still climbing, but I try to stay away from places that require me to carry crampons, rope and gear. Good luck with your "new" adventures. I can testify to the fact that there can be plenty of enjoyment and rewarding trips without bagging summits.