Hot, hot, hot

Posted by: Rich_M

Hot, hot, hot - 10/31/09 11:19 PM

I use an MSR titan Kettle and the one complaint I have with this pot is that the handles get hot. I can set the pot on the burner with the handles off center but wondered if anyone had a light weight option to remove the pot from the burner. My son uses a Leatherman tool and I have thought about getting one but are there any other ways. I have burnt the heck out of a couple of pair of gloves.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Hot, hot, hot - 11/01/09 12:29 AM

If those handles are hot enough to burn your gloves, maybe you could turn the heat down because it sounds to me that a lot of it is going up the sides...
(your flame is too wide for the pot)
Franco
Posted by: Rich_M

Re: Hot, hot, hot - 11/01/09 12:39 AM

Thanks Franco. I also was looking through some of my pots and came upon a MSR Lite Lifter (1 oz.). This not only will work in the traditional way but it will also work by turning it sideways and using it on the pot handles. I think I answered my own question.

But, turning the flame down is a good idea too.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Hot, hot, hot - 11/01/09 09:54 PM

I usually have a pair of gloves and my multitool, so adding anything just to lift the pot is more weight. Maybe look at stuff you already carry and see if you could use them.
Posted by: phat

Re: Hot, hot, hot - 11/01/09 10:25 PM

Gloves ususally only work if they are of a materiel that doesn't melt. Aside from just liking wool gloves, this is the reason I always carry ragg wool gloves instead of something more modern and shmexy - they are dual purpose in my pack because they are my potholders.. if they singe a bit no harm done...

Fleece gloves or other such things don't work as well for this if you may have to take a pot off of a stove. So if you're going to consider your gloves dual use, make sure they don't go poof if a flame gets near 'em
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Hot, hot, hot - 11/01/09 10:59 PM

That's one reason (among several) that I have a Leatherman Micra multi-tool with pliers. I've burned too many holes in bandannas!
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Hot, hot, hot - 11/02/09 08:02 AM

My pot has a bail on it but sometimes even that gets hot. If I have my rag wool gloves, they work fine as pot holder. Otherwise I use my dinky little Leatherman squirt pliers or a local green leaf or two. Never really thought about it much.

How did you burn the gloves??? If you have that much heat coming up the sides of your pot, you're wasting fuel. My pot is really wide and squat to capture more heat and I try and keep any flame from licking up the sides. My pot has never been hot enough to burn anything. Since I use Esbit or cook fires, 'turning down the heat' means covering the flame with tin foil. If you are using a gas stove, turn it off before removing your pot.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Hot, hot, hot - 11/02/09 09:42 AM

I have a pair of deerskin gloves that I bought at a farm store. They are cut like mechanics gloves, so I retain decent dexterity. They also multipurpose as work gloves for breaking sticks for a fire, and tending the fire itself. And they provide a little warmth and windbreak. If I am moving a lot, and don't want insulation on my hands, but still need something, they work great for that. I use them too much to leave them at home.