Chocolate Fish Merino Thermals

Posted by: najibah

Chocolate Fish Merino Thermals - 10/20/09 08:59 PM

I think merino wool is great for keeping you cool in warm weather and warm in cold weather. I've tried chocolate fish and it has that non-itchy feel to it that some other thermals dont have. Especially needed when your on those long expeditions and you have to wear the same clothing for days on end. Is it just me or has anyone else tried them before?
Posted by: Rick

Re: Chocolate Fish Merino Thermals - 11/01/09 05:49 PM

Nice to see the world warming to wool. smile

The wool is marginally more weight than plastic (from my kit, all sizes XL or XXL):

Medium Weight Plastic Long Johns Zip Top - 290 gm (9.32 oz)
Medium Weight Merino Wool Long Johns Zip Top - 310 gm (9.97 oz)

Medium Weight Plastic Long Johns Bottom - 230 gm (7.4 oz)
Medium Weight Merino Wool Long Johns Bottoms - 275 gm (8.84 oz)

Heavy Weight Plastic Long Johns Top - 320 gm (10.29 oz)
Heavy Weight Merino Wool Long Johns Top - 290 gm (9.32 oz)

The wool, however, is two to three times the price. cry Wool also requires a hand wash cycle on the washing machine. To its credit, the wool is warmer when wet or damp, dries quicker, and stuffs smaller.
Posted by: phat

Re: Chocolate Fish Merino Thermals - 11/01/09 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By Rick

The wool, however, is two to three times the price. cry Wool also requires a hand wash cycle on the washing machine. To its credit, the wool is warmer when wet or damp, dries quicker, and stuffs smaller.

In full agreement for the most part, and a wool fan, but I'm wondering about "dries quicker" - I kind of think my poly long johns dry quicker. In fact I usually wear poly underneath my wool pants in the winter, and then reserve a pair of merino's to sleep in - just because I find a little bit of moisture in the poly dries quicker...

Posted by: Rick

Re: Chocolate Fish Merino Thermals - 11/01/09 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By phat

In full agreement for the most part, and a wool fan, but I'm wondering about "dries quicker" - I kind of think my poly long johns dry quicker. In fact I usually wear poly underneath my wool pants in the winter, and then reserve a pair of merino's to sleep in - just because I find a little bit of moisture in the poly dries quicker...

I dunno. Maybe I'm hotter than you. I certainly can't quantify this - just a perception. Wool Pants, eh. My wool bib pants weigh 1.22 kg (2.68 lb) - that should get me kicked out of here. eek
Posted by: phat

Re: Chocolate Fish Merino Thermals - 11/01/09 07:07 PM

I dunno. Maybe I'm hotter than you. I certainly can't quantify this - just a perception. Wool Pants, eh. My wool bib pants weigh 1.22 kg (2.68 lb) - that should get me kicked out of here. eek

Well, I can't quantify it either - it's just my perception too smile

I've got two pair I use.. My lightweight cabelas ones for "shoulder season" and my codet ones reinforced in the kneed with pieces cut out of my former pair - royal navy wool watch pants! - those are for full on winter. They're not a bib, but I wear 'em with suspenders. I haven't weighted 'em but they're heavy. Neither are lightweight hiking pants.. However I consider them perfectly lightweight for being outside in Alberta in January.. I.E. if I took anything lighter I'd be very uncomfortable smile