Re: what water carrying device would work best?

Posted by: phat

Re: what water carrying device would work best? - 10/15/09 10:49 AM

I own both the MSR and the platypus bags. the MSR is definately a bit more durable - the platy is lighter. Both have toys and gadgets to stick on the end. The MSR with a wide mouth can be a bit easier to fill, but not really by a lot and most of the time I end up dipping a cup or pot to fill them anyway.

I usually end up taking the platypus (usually two 2l or a 2l and 3l bag), because they are lighter - I can carry two platy's for less weight than the MSR. this means that if one does get a hole in it I don't have a problem. I normally only carry a litre of water in one, with the suck tube on it. The other is empty normally with just a regular lid - I use it to grab a big pile of camp water at night, or for loading up on water if I'm going to camp where there isn't any.
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: what water carrying device would work best? - 10/15/09 01:20 PM

One more vote for the MSR. If you're in a situation where water is critical (e.g. the desert, no water and lots of thorns) bombproof trumps light. But if water is plentiful the Platy is a lighter choice too.

My only concern with the MSR is all the connections: A threaded cap, a threaded hole in the threaded cap, a flange to hole interface, and a press fit for the tubing. Just make sure everything is tight. The good thing about this system is versatility. You can choose between a spigot, flip top or drinking tube. And MSR sells replacement parts for all.

There is a good DromLite review here.
Posted by: aimless

Re: what water carrying device would work best? - 10/15/09 08:22 PM

If you wait around here a bit longer, someone will undoubtedly recommend using a hammock for this. crazy

(Ducks and runs).
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: what water carrying device would work best? - 10/15/09 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By aimless
If you wait around here a bit longer, someone will undoubtedly recommend using a hammock for this. crazy

(Ducks and runs).

Perfect! LOL!
Posted by: phat

Re: what water carrying device would work best? - 10/15/09 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By balzaccom

(Ducks and runs).

Perfect! LOL!

Well, you know, if you made a silnylon hammock bottom, you could use it as a hammock (1), you could carry water in it for at least short distances (2), and if you took a can of beans you could fill it with warm water, and use it as a bubble tub (3).. so that's at least tri-use!

Looking forward to the first post of the ultralight tree suspended flatulence powereed hot tub..

(Don't laugh, if this were hammockforums someone would try it..)
Posted by: NightForce

Re: what water carrying device would work best? - 10/20/09 10:33 AM

Another vote for the MSR (I have a Dromolite) with the spigot. I've been purposefully mistreating it, filled to the brim and resides in my car for constant use, and haven't had a problem as of yet. Hung on the back of the car to use as a faucet for the kids washing up for a car camping trip worked well too. Keep the cap on the spigot though, it didn't seem to leak even with the valve on (kids apparently played with it and turned the valve to "on").
Posted by: lori

Re: what water carrying device would work best? - 10/24/09 09:10 PM

(Ducks and runs).

It takes a hammocker to point out that most hammocks (the comfortable ones anyway) are not vapor barriers and unsuitable for water hauling. My pack cover, on the other hand, is made of sil and doubles as a water hauler (short distances), firewood collector, ground cloth, bathtub, or gear hammock.
Posted by: lori

Re: what water carrying device would work best? - 10/24/09 09:13 PM

I carry a platypus 2 liter with hose for drinking on the trail and a Nalgene widemouth for camp water.

the J sink
Posted by: bigfoot2

Re: what water carrying device would work best? - 10/25/09 03:36 PM

(Ducks and runs).

Ya' know....you could use a HAMMOCK for this.... grin

BF cool