Sock Purchasing

Posted by: Danp87

Sock Purchasing - 10/06/09 10:39 PM

I'm looking for some all around well made socks, ones that dry fast/fit comfortably/and keep me warm. I know combination of these three are definitely a unique buy, but does anyone know where I can find these sort of things?

Dan
Posted by: Keith

Re: Sock Purchasing - 10/06/09 10:55 PM

I've been using smartwools now for almost since they came out. Maybe there's something else out there, but I haven't had any desire to look. I liked them so well for hiking that I now use them daily. Summer & Winter and everything in between.
Posted by: Echterling

Re: Sock Purchasing - 10/07/09 04:36 AM

The holy grail of socks...

I've tried Smartwool, Patagonia, Wigwam, Thorlos, Underarmour, and various other brands.

If you truly need the socks to keep you warm and dry fast, good luck, I haven't found a sock I'm happy with.

In the summer, when warmth isn't an issue, the lighter hiking Smartwools are pretty good if I'm wearing boots. If I'm in trail runners, I like underarmour synthetic running socks.

In the winter, when I want warm socks, any of them with significant wool content take forever to dry, plus the wool stretches over the course of several days. I tried Thorlos because they have all synthetic, but there were some fit issues that resulted in blisters.

So, for warm dry socks, I wear liners, and carry 3 or 4 pairs of socks, usually a combination of Patagonia Mountaineering and Smartwool Mountaineering. Less than ideal, but it works.

Posted by: bigb

Re: Sock Purchasing - 10/07/09 06:39 AM

Teko socks, nuff said
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Sock Purchasing - 10/07/09 09:18 AM

Originally Posted By Danp87
but does anyone know where I can find these sort of things?

Dan

They sell them at hiking stores. You live in NY, so you might be close to Campmor. Then there is REI, Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. Most outdoor sports stores sell them, or any sports store for that matter. You might even find them at X-mart.
Posted by: jasonklass

Re: Sock Purchasing - 10/11/09 12:53 PM

You might want to look at these guys too: Point 6 Socks