Question about Petzl headlamp.

Posted by: knight_time

Question about Petzl headlamp. - 09/14/09 10:23 PM

I just got one of these and have a question about it. It has a flashing on/off mode and the instructions are not too clear about what this is used for. Is it supposed to be a rescue beacon? I can't imagine it would be practical to use it while it is flashing on and off.

Thanks.
KT.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Question about Petzl headlamp. - 09/14/09 10:34 PM

You're right it's intended a beacon, weather for rescue or signaling is unclear. I think this is one of those features that everyone does because everyone does it. I've never found a use for the flashing function, maybe camp disco? Since it costs next to nothing to include it and it increases the perceived value I imagine manufacturers will continue to include it in portable lights.
Posted by: phat

Re: Question about Petzl headlamp. - 09/14/09 10:51 PM

Actually it's kind of nice if you affix the light to the rear of a bike helmet. I've used my petzl as a rear facing flasher. the flasher gets the attention of the big metal gas eaters better than a solid light, at least I've found..

(Yes, i cycle with a forward and rearward facing light on my helmet.)
Posted by: Keith

Re: Question about Petzl headlamp. - 09/14/09 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By phat

Actually it's kind of nice if you affix the light to the rear of a bike helmet. I've used my petzl as a rear facing flasher. the flasher gets the attention of the big metal gas eaters better than a solid light, at least I've found..

(Yes, i cycle with a forward and rearward facing light on my helmet.)

Here in the US, you're in trouble if you show white light to the rear. Do you put a red film on the light?

Re: Question about Petzl headlamp. - 09/15/09 12:57 AM

My tikka plus has a red lens, and the e-lite a red led.
Posted by: Keith

Re: Question about Petzl headlamp. - 09/15/09 10:38 AM

Originally Posted By phat

My tikka plus has a red lens, and the e-lite a red led.

cool. . . .
Posted by: BarryP

Re: Question about Petzl headlamp. - 09/15/09 12:25 PM

“I can't imagine it would be practical to use it while it is flashing on and off.”

This is probably my most used setting. Not only do I take my headlamp backpacking but I use it every day on my bike (I usually bike to work). People say they see me 1 mile away--- in daylight. To me that’s important.

Thus I have been using the Fenix L1D practically every day of my life. I added a clip to this single-cell flashlight so it clips to my hat rim.

I also, sometimes, use a Zebralight, which has been great for backpacking. So whichever light I’m using, my wife will use the other one.

And I see Zebralight has a red-cree version now. Hmm, that would make a NICE taillight…

-Barry
Posted by: 300winmag

Petzl headlamp... hmmmm... - 09/15/09 10:43 PM

I'm absolutely NOT a PETZL headlamp fan. They can't use lithium batteries W/O the danger of butning up at some point and they don't make a regulated headlamp for more even light output.

Princeton Tec regulated headlamps for me.

Eric

Re: Petzl headlamp... hmmmm... - 09/16/09 10:17 AM

Well, I have none of those problems with mine. heck I've never run my e-lite on anything but lithium.. don't think they make non-lithium CR2032's
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Petzl headlamp... hmmmm... - 09/16/09 10:22 AM

The e+Light uses lithium batteries, but other Petzl headlamps don't. They can't use rechargeable batteries, either--they've warned against both types causing possible fires. I do have an e+Light for summer backpacking (I don't particularly like it, but it doesn't get much use), but I use my trusty Princeton Tech the rest of the year.

Why is it so hard for Petzl to add a regulator???
Posted by: TomM

Re: Question about Petzl headlamp. - 09/18/09 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By BarryP

This is probably my most used setting. Not only do I take my headlamp backpacking but I use it every day on my bike (I usually bike to work). People say they see me 1 mile away--- in daylight. To me that’s important.

Hmm, I never thought of that.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Petzl headlamp... hmmmm... - 09/19/09 02:03 AM

Because Petzl is C H E A P! They could easily add regulators to at least some models.

Black Diamond's NON-regulated models can handle lithium batteries. PETZL is just - well, French and eccentric. (Wait, that's redundant.)

Eric