New Esbit stove.

Posted by: bigfoot2

New Esbit stove. - 08/05/09 04:08 PM

Any opinions on this unit? Seems like it would work fine with a windscreen. Anyone bought one yet or do i have to run down to REI and place my order? Might even work as a wood stove cooker ala the Bushbuddy:

http://www.rei.com/product/787279

BF cool
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: New Esbit stove. - 08/05/09 05:49 PM

I dunno about burning wood in there (maybe?) but could sure see sliding a little alcohol burner into it. I wonder if that esbit tray is welded or rivited into place?

Nice find!

Cheers,
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: New Esbit stove. - 08/05/09 07:55 PM

bf
thats pretty cool looking.
So they let into REI again?
Jim
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: New Esbit stove. - 08/05/09 08:13 PM

It looks convenient and elegant. I love the H.A. finish on the burner and the pot. The fill marks are a nice touch.

But for people who are counting ounces and who just want to burn Esbit tabs there are lighter options out there. It also looks like a huge gap between the top of the tab and the bottom of the pot. I keep my pot much closer when I use Esbit. I always take those REI reviews with grain of salt but one of them said the stove didn't heat well. Maybe due to the gap?

It looks like the windscreen is already built in?
Posted by: Generator Johnny

Re: New Esbit stove. - 08/05/09 08:35 PM

After reading the reviews,I wouldn't buy it.

Re: New Esbit stove. - 08/05/09 09:14 PM

Jim,
I sneak in once and a while to buy food wink

BF cool

Re: New Esbit stove. - 08/05/09 09:18 PM

Found a review on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDxxHZUVgzc

And here using alcohol??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnGmrHlwgrs&feature=related

BF cool

P.S.
I think it will work fine with some fiddling.........
Posted by: Glenn

Re: New Esbit stove. - 08/05/09 09:38 PM

Seems a tad heavy: 8 ounces for a stove and pot that will heat about a cup and a half, or two cups, of water on one tablet. For the same stove/pot weight, a Pocket Rocket or Snow Peak with a titanium pot will heat twice as much water substantially quicker. Of course, I don't know how many Esbit tablets have the same heating capacity as a 110g fuel cylinder.

I played with Esbit, and could get it to work. Of course, I never repeated the experience.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: New Esbit stove. Hmmm... - 08/05/09 10:06 PM

My Vargo Triad EX base is my "stove for ESBIT/FireLite fuel tabs. It's all I need for heating or actual cooking. The new ESBIT stove seems overkill.

Along with an REI foil windscren and TWO tablets I can get a boil for one cup in 7 minutes plus I have at least 1/3 of the tabs left over. Good enuf fer me and good enuf fer a Grand Canyon 6 day trip two years ago.

The YouTube video shows why two tabs at a time is necessary.

Re: New Esbit stove. Hmmm... - 08/05/09 10:30 PM

I agree that it's overkill. I am sticking with my BPL Esbit wing stove and tin foil for most trips, but am interested in using the stove as a wood burner in winter.

BF cool
Posted by: phat

Re: New Esbit stove. - 08/05/09 10:46 PM

I have to agree with Glen, It looks real cute, but at almost 8 oz it's about 1/3 more weight than of my present setup (foil windscreen potstand, penny stove and AGG pot) and really not a lot more usefull (looks snazzy though)
Posted by: finallyME

Re: New Esbit stove. Hmmm... - 08/06/09 09:14 AM

I think because it is made out of aluminum that it would make a poor wood burner. Too hot for the aluminum.

I once made a nomad stove from aluminum, didn't turn out that great when I put a fire in it. Learned a good lesson. Now I use two stainless bicycle spokes aka Earthling.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: New Esbit stove. - 08/06/09 03:27 PM

It's cute! But the noble Esbit tablet needs no stove frame at all. You can light it on the ground with three rocks or tent stakes supporting your pot, and save yourself the half pound of that new setup. Foil, more dirt, or rocks make a fine windscreen.
Posted by: jasonklass

Re: New Esbit stove. - 08/28/09 08:11 PM

That is over-engineered and WAY to heavy for an Esbit stove. For example, the Bushcooker LT burns Esbit, wood, AND alcohol for only 2.5 oz.

If you're only burning Esbit, I think something like Trail Designs Gram Cracker Stove is all you need. It's only 3 grams.
Posted by: chimpac

Re: New Esbit stove. Hmmm... - 08/31/09 10:06 AM

Originally Posted By bigfoot2
I agree that it's overkill. I am sticking with my BPL Esbit wing stove and tin foil for most trips, but am interested in using the stove as a wood burner in winter.

BF cool

Are you one of those very hardy souls I have heard about that cook outside the shelter in winter with their mitts on? With a one pound chimney you could be inside by a fire drying your socks.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: New Esbit stove. Hmmm... - 08/31/09 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By chimpac

BF cool

Are you one of those very hardy souls I have heard about that cook outside the shelter in winter with their mitts on? With a one pound chimney you could be inside by a fire drying your socks.

I think we hurt someone's feelings. wink

Re: New Esbit stove. Hmmm... - 09/01/09 03:53 AM

Originally Posted By finallyME
Originally Posted By chimpac

BF cool

I think we hurt someone's feelings. wink

Not MY feelings wink And i always keep my socks and my powder dry, thank you very much thanks

BF cool
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: New Esbit stove. - 09/01/09 08:09 AM

It would be much more efficient if the pot sat inside the windscreen. This forces the heat to stay in contact with the pot longer. I've made similar stoves using a coffee can.

Posted by: Bushman

Re: New Esbit stove. - 09/02/09 02:05 AM

you could burn esbit on the bottom of almost any soda can stove.