Plant Clips

Posted by: DJ2

Plant Clips - 07/31/09 01:05 PM

http://www.hydro-gardens.com/growsup1.htm

If the link above works you will find plant clips shown on the lower part of the page. I use them in the garden to hang my tomatoes and cucumber vines. I'm also finding them handy around camp while backpacking.

I use them to hang a thermometer and light from the ceiling of my tent. I also string a length of kite string between two trees and hang laurndry, my water filter, etc. from the string. These handy little clips grip the string inside their hinge when closed. This keeps the stuff on the line from all sliding to the center of the string. They open and close with a click and are very easy to use.
Posted by: BorealHiker

Re: Plant Clips - 08/12/09 07:38 PM

Do you mean the black or clear plant clips shown half way down? Yeah, I can see these being useful. But being one with a horticultural bent (!) I can see some uses pertaining to my work. Not sure that's a good thing.

Re: Plant Clips - 08/12/09 08:36 PM

My P-Patch buddy and I have used about 500 of them so far in our P-Patch gardens in Seattle. We liked them so much we ordered another 3000 to use and share with other gardeners. They come to less than 1.5 cents each when you order 3000.

Posted by: dash4689

Re: Plant Clips - 08/16/09 09:32 PM

Will the clips work as close pins? I can run a clothes line in my tent to dry out rain jackets and such. But the clothes line is at a 30 degree slope. Will it keep them sliding to the bottom?
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Plant Clips - 08/16/09 11:19 PM

The best backcountry clothes line I ever found was to fold the cord in half, attach one end to the tent loop, then twist the other end a number of times before attaching it to the other end. You simply shove the corners (or sleeves, or whatever) through those small loops along the length of the line, and friction does the rest. No clothes pins needed.

Re: Plant Clips - 08/17/09 12:14 AM

Yes it will keep them from sliding to the bottom. The hinge of the clip grips the string. When used for tomatoes the hinge is gripping a vertical string and holding up a cluster of tomatoes.

You still have to figure out a way to attach the clothes to the clip, however. It is a circle about 3/4" in diameter. Light socks can be poked through the circle. The sleeves of a light garment could be also be poked into the clip. Perhaps Toggles, buttons, clips or drawstrings could be attached to the clips. Depends on what you've got to work with.

Posted by: Folkalist

Re: Plant Clips - 08/17/09 06:32 PM

Clever, Glenn!
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Plant Clips - 08/17/09 06:54 PM

I can't claim credit - I think I read about it in Colin Fletcher's Complete Walker (New Complete Walker? III? IV?) or maybe some other book. It's been too many years.

But you're right, it is clever.

Re: Plant Clips - 08/18/09 12:50 AM

I've seen portable clotheslines intended for traveling that use that idea.