Double duty canister stove setup

Posted by: 300winmag

Double duty canister stove setup - 06/25/09 02:23 AM

For those of you that have an on-the-canister stove like an MSR Pocket Rocket here's a conversion kit that cheaply converts it to a Wind Pro-type remote canister for car camping, baking, etc.

Brunton's Stove Stand is the answer. Merely screw your Pocket Rocket, Jet-Ti, etc., into the 3 legged stand and the canister on the end of the braided stainless hose and VOILE'! You have a remote canister stove.

Check out eBay. I couldn't find it on Brunton's site. (??)

Eric
P.S. After being taken to task at the "Outdoors Magic" Brit website's forum for the fact that few, if any, canister-top stoves have a preheating tube and the Brunton Stove Stand can't be used for cold weather cooking let me say this:
THIS CONVERSION KIT IS A THREE SEASON USE ITEM. (Egad!) It's great for car camping where the bit of extra weight is meaningless and the utility of its other features are handy.
NOTE: I suggest turning your burner's own fuel control knob all the way on so you have complete flame control back at the canister control knob. This prevents burned fingers and fiddling with the windscreen to adjust the flame.
Posted by: Cesar

Re: Double duty canister stove setup - 06/25/09 10:42 AM

Here you go. Click Here

Never tried it myself. How stable is it with larger pots since your still using the same pot stands?
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Double duty canister stove setup - 06/25/09 10:57 AM

Haven't tried that one - I'll have to get one.

I use an MSR Wind Pro remote stove when I use a 2L or bigger pot and the stability is amazing. I have done 2L on my tiny Primus canister stove but yeah, I always keep a hand on the pot :p
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Double duty canister stove setup - 06/25/09 02:05 PM

BackcountryGear sells them - use the portal above.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Double duty canister stove setup - 06/25/09 02:44 PM

Nice idea but a bit on the heavy side. The Stove Stand weighs 5.4 oz. plus 3 oz. for a Pocket Rocket is 8.4 oz. The Wind-Pro is 6.3oz. Then again the Stove Stand is $20 Wind-Pro sells for $90 so if you already have a Pocket Rocket or the like and don't mind the extra 2 ounces it's a cheep solution...
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Double duty canister stove setup - 06/25/09 03:00 PM

OOpps
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Double duty canister stove setup - 06/25/09 04:49 PM

It has neither pot rests nor a burner because it is not a stove. It is an adapter that a stove screws into. The size of the burner and pot rests depend on which stove is being used with it.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Double duty canister stove setup - 06/25/09 06:41 PM

For the ones that don't get it...
This is what it looks like with "a stove" , could be any non-remote canister stove.
The idea is that you can use a windshield around it without the problem of possibly overheating your canister ( technically called the "kaboom!!)
and or it may be more stable than particularly the taller canisters.
Franco
From http://www.cabelas.com/prod-
1/0056001518519a.shtml

Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Double duty canister stove setup - 06/25/09 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By Franco
technically called the "kaboom!!)

How is anyone going to understand if you throw out complicated technical terms like that?????
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Double duty canister stove setup - 06/25/09 10:55 PM

It goes well with the technical description of how not to light a stove: "Poof - no eyebrows!"
Posted by: Franco

Re: Double duty canister stove setup - 06/26/09 03:20 AM

Recently I suggested that there are better ways to verify if an alcohol stove is alight than putting your hand over it. Did that twice within 1 hour , it was working both times...

Franco