Another (Dopey) Sleeping Bag Question

Posted by: bluepelican

Another (Dopey) Sleeping Bag Question - 06/23/09 07:39 PM

Is there some secret to rolling/stuffing a sleeping bag that I'm missing? I'm having a very hard time fitting my sleeping bag into the sleeping bag compartment on my backpack.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Another (Dopey) Sleeping Bag Question - 06/23/09 08:14 PM

Stuffing is better than rolling. It helps to pack it down around the sides first and then the center. If it still doesn't fit then the bag is too big or the compartment too small.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Another (Dopey) Sleeping Bag Question - 06/23/09 08:48 PM

If your sleeping bag was supplied with a stuff sack, that is the recommended smallest space you should pack it in. So if it is bigger than your SB compartment in your pack you can a) put your spare clothing in there ans the SB inside the main compartment, b) get another backpack,c) get a smaller sleeping bag of the same warmth ( me guess downbag...)
Franco
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Another (Dopey) Sleeping Bag Question - 06/26/09 08:45 PM

Not a dopey question. Always stuff a bag when putting it in your pack.
Begin with the foot end first to trap less air when stuffing. Stuff every nook and cranny of the stuffsack as you work your way up.

NEVER roll a sleeping bag of any kind B/C it will pull & tear the insulation towards the foot and/or tear inner baffles.

And remember to store your bag at home in the loosest possible way in a big storage (trash) bag.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Another (Dopey) Sleeping Bag Question - 06/26/09 09:34 PM

I always stuff because I HATE to roll it. It is such a PITA. Now I know it actually damages it as well. thanks
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Another (Dopey) Sleeping Bag Question - 06/26/09 10:05 PM

There is no such thing as a stupid/dopey question! The only thing that is dopey/stupid is not asking the question!
Posted by: chaz

Re: Another (Dopey) Sleeping Bag Question - 06/27/09 09:07 AM

There are no comfortable backpacks. Some are just less uncomfortable than others." I agree but I sure enjoy going somewhere nice with it on............... laugh
Posted by: thecook

Re: Another (Dopey) Sleeping Bag Question - 06/27/09 02:56 PM

Since we're talking 7 dwarves, shouldn't this have been Sleepy's question instead od Dopey's grin
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Another (Dopey) Sleeping Bag Question - 06/27/09 04:54 PM

As Whinny says
Always stuff from the bottom first to let the air out.
Jim
Posted by: Folkalist

Re: Another (Dopey) Sleeping Bag Question - 06/28/09 02:57 PM

G R O A N grin
Posted by: Tango61

Re: Another (Dopey) Sleeping Bag Question - 06/28/09 10:45 PM

As Jim says, put the bottom of the sleeping into the stuff sack first. Once I get it started, I use my fist to push it all into the sack. Then, I pull the draw string tight and the shape it to fit into the specific area of my pack. It depends on the pack and the bag/quilt as to where it goes in the pack.

Tango
Posted by: frenchie

Re: Another (Dopey) Sleeping Bag Question - 06/29/09 02:52 AM

It's also better to have a slightly too large stuffing bag, easier to pack than a brick-hard clumsy cylinder.