30L Weekend Pack Feasible?

Posted by: MrZeroPing

30L Weekend Pack Feasible? - 05/12/09 05:08 AM

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Basically here is what I'm interested in doing. This past weekend I went fishing with two buddies of mine up in the mountains of Japan. It was a pretty nice creek/stream. We were fishing for char and seema. We were using waders to traverse the water. However, some areas are hard to access. For example, the water gets really deep and there are cliffs on either side making it hard to get across.

What we were doing was climbing out of the stream and taking a little hike up the cliffs. However, the cliffs are pretty steep and some are unclimbable. In fact we all felt it was quite dangerous what we were doing. So I had an idea of next time going, getting like a water proof bag and putting all my gear in it. Getting out of my waders and then swimming across the section. Then I remembered that in Japan there is a hobby called "Shower Climbing." It is similar to canyoneering, except that you climb up a river as opposed to down. I remember that Montbell had a shower climbing section and they have some water proof bags.

So I was thinking that I would get the appropriate clothing and trade in my wader for some neoprene swimming gear and shoes, and then I would get one of their water proof bags. This way I wouldn't have to change out of my wader or do anything. I would always be in "amphibious mode" and could travel up and down the river unhindered.

I'm looking at purchasing Montbell's 30L shower climbing bag. I'm wondering if a 30L weekend pack is feasible. I'm not so much concerned with weight as I'm concerned with packability. For example, what type of shelter packs down really well? Sleeping bag?

Here is what I'm thinking so far:
Shelter, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, stove and fuel, change of clothes, rain gear, water bladder, food, fishing gear.

So if you were in my situation what are some types of gear decisions you would make? I'm interested to hear some ideas. Are there things I don't really need to bring with me? Things I should bring that I'm not thinking about? Any ideas?
Posted by: phat

Re: 30L Weekend Pack Feasible? - 05/12/09 08:26 AM

Sure, it's very possible. I've done up to 5 days out of one.

although I'm cheating and have my sleeping pad on the outside.

Now on the other hand I'm not too sure about the neoprene suit and other gear you might need. That's stuffed pretty good for
me and I'm not taking any extra gear. but keeping yourself
relatively minimal it's very possible.
Posted by: jpanderson80

Re: 30L Weekend Pack Feasible? - 05/12/09 02:04 PM

Yes. It is certainly feasible. I would be concerned with space for food for anything longer than a weekend.

Phat - 30L for 5 days... that's minimalist indeed.

Re: 30L Weekend Pack Feasible? - 05/12/09 04:22 PM

Not really when you think about it actually JP. if you look at a lot of the "ultralight" packs that advertise a 50L capacity, when you read the fine print it's like 2200 CI in the main compartment, and a bunch of stuff in the "pockets" on the outside. That MEC bag is 30 litres, so 1800 CI. As long as I don't mind compressing my sleeping bag, it works just fine:

Look here:
http://bofh.ucs.ualberta.ca/beck/pictures/rockwall2007/gear.txt

And tell me you wouldn't be comfortable with that. It was hardly minimalist, and I didn't starve (do I look like I like to starve?) Heck, I had bozos with 90l packs sitting in my camp chatting because they didn't have a tarp or poncho to sit under and couldn't get a fire going when it was raining:

http://bofh.ucs.ualberta.ca/beck/pictures/rockwall2007/p8100235.html

However, to be clear, 5 days (4 nights food) is about the max I can jam in there.

Re: 30L Weekend Pack Feasible? - 05/12/09 05:50 PM

That is an interesting setup you have there Phat. I see you are using a hammock. I was reading in another thread that hammocks can weigh more then a similar ultralight shelter, but I didn't see anything about packability. Do you find in your experience, that a hammock packs down better and is more compact? I'm giving some serious consideration to a hammock for my "river trips."
Posted by: jpanderson80

Re: 30L Weekend Pack Feasible? - 05/12/09 05:54 PM

Yes, the pockets make ALL the difference when they are available for use. In the OP's case, the "dry-sack" type backpack in question probably wouldn't have pockets. (I'm just guessing because I'm not sure which model he was speaking of. I only see the DENALI and the LADNER models that are 30L.)

I love the pockets myself... but then again, I've never gone "shower climbing." Here in the southern US, we call walking up/down stream "creekin'". It's a great adventure, but I've never done it in a backpack.

Re: 30L Weekend Pack Feasible? - 05/12/09 06:47 PM

Sorry I didn't make myself clearer on what pack I was looking for JP. I'm looking at this model on the Japanese website. This model isn't available in the States.

http://webshop.montbell.jp/goods/disp.php?product_id=1223266

It does have a front 5L pocket on the front for "helmet" storage. I was just going to throw in another 5L dry sack and use it for food or something.

I would be inserting these drysacks into my "river bag."

http://webshop.montbell.jp/goods/disp.php?product_id=1123444

It would appear that the Backpack only has 2 pockets. I'm going to go to one of the Montbell flagship stores this weekend in Tokyo and check it out in person. I'm also going to check out the new ultralight spiral down hugger sleeping bag. It boasts a lower weight than the ultralight ss down hugger and I want to see which is more compactable.

Re: 30L Weekend Pack Feasible? - 05/12/09 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By MrZeroPing
That is an interesting setup you have there Phat. I see you are using a hammock. I was reading in another thread that hammocks can weigh more then a similar ultralight shelter, but I didn't see anything about packability. Do you find in your experience, that a hammock packs down better and is more compact? I'm giving some serious consideration to a hammock for my "river trips."

No, I don't think it does, because it simply is an extra thing that I don't need to bring if I just tarp it on the ground.

Of course I'm a *lot* more comfortable in it than being on the ground.

Posted by: Tango61

Re: 30L Weekend Pack Feasible? - 05/13/09 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By phat
Of course I'm a *lot* more comfortable in it than being on the ground.

"being on the ground" - heresy I say, heresy!

Tango