Marmot Mica or Aegis?

Posted by: Teej

Marmot Mica or Aegis? - 05/03/09 12:58 AM

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with Marmot's Mica and Aegis shells? I am looking for a waterproof, breathable shell and these two seem to be a pretty good value. They are only $10 apart. Which is better?
Posted by: runsmtns

Re: Marmot Mica or Aegis? - 05/03/09 10:25 AM

I think I will pick up a Mica. The Aegis weighs about twice as much as the Mica, so that would be my determining factor.

Ed
Posted by: rvamutt

Re: Marmot Mica or Aegis? - 05/05/09 06:57 AM

I have the Mica. I have used it once so far for the weather it was intended for and I'd give it a 6 out of 10.

Pros: Super light, good wind breaker in addition to rain shell, kept me dry through my core (during about 5 hours of hiking in steady rain), decent laminated visor

Cons: Pockets inaccesable with hip belt on, pockets zippers not laminated like main zipper (though in all fairness my pockets did not ge wet), hood adjustment is velcro so it did not want to stay, wrists would not adjust as tight as I wanted them for the rain,the back is too short so it kept riding up when I walked.

All in all I'd say it was not designed for backpacking and therefore is only mediocre at it. I'm going to give it one more shot then sell it on ebay and buy an Arc'teryx Alpha SL.