My new (used) tent smells,,,Urghhh

Posted by: jimt

My new (used) tent smells,,,Urghhh - 10/17/08 06:07 PM

Hello all, just purchased a Sierra Designs tent off e-bay. Great looking tent, in really good shape but it smells really bad of smoke. I am not sure if it is from a campfire or if the home it came from had a fire.

Right now I am airing it out bit if this doesn't work what would you recommend doing to get rid of this odor that wont hurt the tent.

I was thinking wiping it down with a diluted mix of febreeze and water, what do you think. I would hate to screw it up....

Thanks in advance
and...

Happy Trails
Jim
Posted by: Tango61

Re: My new (used) tent smells,,,Urghhh - 10/17/08 06:20 PM

You might try hand washing it in the bath tub with baking soda, rinse 2-3 time, and then set up outside to dry. If you can suspend it off the ground and have all the poles installed it can get air underneath the bottom and dry out better. Make sure that all the windows are open too.

Tango
Posted by: jimt

Re: My new (used) tent smells,,,Urghhh - 10/17/08 06:42 PM

Great idea, I the smell of febreeze can get overpowering fast. I will have to try it.

Thanks
Jim
Posted by: phat

Re: My new (used) tent smells,,,Urghhh - 10/18/08 09:23 AM

Quote:

You might try hand washing it in the bath tub with baking soda, rinse 2-3 time, and then set up outside to dry. If you can suspend it off the ground and have all the poles installed it can get air underneath the bottom and dry out better. Make sure that all the windows are open too.

Tango

Alternatively (or in addition to) just set it up outside and let it get rained on a couple of nights and air out - I find the smoke smell dissipates well after a day or two of airing out.
Posted by: thecook

Re: My new (used) tent smells,,,Urghhh - 10/18/08 06:21 PM

I've never tried it for a tent but learned a trick from truckers many years ago for rooms that smell bad. Dump fresh coffee grounds on the floor and sweep them up the next morning. The coffee smell quickly dissapates and the original oder is gone. Of course, this might nor be the best idea for bear country