Handle for Heine pot

Posted by: just_another_Joe

Handle for Heine pot - 05/18/08 09:20 PM

Any sugggestions for a cup handle for a Heine pot? I'm using a bail handle now, made from wire. I just weighed a hose clamp, a shorter one was 30 grams so that idea is shot. Has anyone tried a key ring through a hole in the can top? If I cut an inch off of the top side, leaving a tab for a handle, will I have too many sharp edges in the pack? I assume someone has already tried most of these ideas so I'm avoiding re-inventing the wheel by asking here.
Posted by: Ecrow

Re: Handle for Heine pot - 05/26/08 08:20 PM

I'm not sure how many here can make do with a Heineken pot. I use thin stainless wire for a bail. Some people found kevlar tape to use as an insulator. I am anxious to hear a good reply too.
Posted by: mugs

Re: Handle for Heine pot - 05/26/08 09:22 PM

I saw some time back someone JB welded a small key beaner that they did some modifiying to, on a heiny can. Personally If I am using my full size heiny pot I just use a bandanna to grab the pot and pour, my heiny 400 has a wire bail.
Posted by: hootyhoo

Re: Handle for Heine pot - 05/29/08 05:09 PM

I worked with this predicament last year - I came to the conclusion that, for now, the Minibull and Jason Klass designs work best for me. Why fight it? I can not fire cook with the wrap like with the bail handle, but oh well. P.S. - for those that have never run out of fuel - there are times that fire cooking is the only option other than a very lucky and well placed lightning strike.