Polypropylene pack material: Hello, New to forum

Posted by: jrigg

Polypropylene pack material: Hello, New to forum - 03/08/16 11:42 PM

Hello, I am new to the forum and look forward to learning all kinds of new D.I.Y info and projects. I have done a lot of research in to ultralight backpacking and I am drawn to the sport. I am wanting o set up a ultra light kit, and so far I just have a Walmart Outdoor gear Arrowhead 8.0 which is weighing in a little over a pound. I like the pack since it can take a water bladder, but there are a few things I don't like about the pack, but I know that everyone has to start out somewhere.

I really want to make my own pack, but not really sure where to go. That is why I joined the forum. I have been searching the Walmart fabric isle and found some polypropylene material that is really light weight and seems pretty tuff, for around 5 dollars a yard. But I am not sure if it is water resistant/proof. Or if you can even sew it and have it hold together. I just want to make a simple bucket style pack with some netting on the outside to hold some gear Nothing fancy. I just want it to weigh less than a pound. I have also thought about scaviging some old tents if I can get my hands on one to use some of the material as well. So, my main question I guess is what material can I get, that is readily available, easy to sew, low cost and something I can find locally, and if polypropylene is water resistant. Wish me luck. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Polypropylene pack material: Hello, New to forum - 03/09/16 09:54 AM

I'm not positive, but I think the material I'm using in my DIY pack project (feed sacks) is polypro. It's a woven plastic of some sort anyway. It sews fine. Maybe I'll be able to tell you more once I finish it.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Polypropylene pack material: Hello, New to forum - 03/14/16 10:38 AM

Originally Posted By 4evrplan
I'm not positive, but I think the material I'm using in my DIY pack project (feed sacks) is polypro. It's a woven plastic of some sort anyway. It sews fine. Maybe I'll be able to tell you more once I finish it.

If you are using the material in feed bags, it is HDPE.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Polypropylene pack material: Hello, New to forum - 03/14/16 10:41 AM

You can put a water bladder in any pack. Of course, many of us have ditched the water bladder and gone back to the older technology of bottles.
I would say that if you already have a pack, then look at the rest of your gear first before changing the pack. First look at your sleeping bag and sleeping mat. Then move on to shelter and clothing. After that (and several trips) you will know what kind of gear you need. Then a pack is easier to either buy or make, because you know what you need to carry in it.