creating fill marks on titanium cookware

Posted by: the-gr8t-waldo

creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 07/18/15 05:19 PM

last outing, it's become apparent that I should no longer , just go by eye when it comes to back country cooking. anyway, I want to make two indentations to mark the one and two fluid cup levels in my snow peak cook/mug. In my online searches I have stumbled onto a few mentions about this process, using a small section of #12-10 copper wire(the die?) Along with a bench vise. to create the mark. but other than that- no practicable mention on how it's done. does anyone know of a Instructable or some other diy site that can walk me thru the process? I have never worked titanium and would hate to ruin an expensive piece of gear, the first time out the gate.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 07/19/15 08:32 AM

You can use an automatic center punch to simply make a dimple at the level you want. Less than a second.
If you want bigger marks, you can scribe them in with a metal scribe...mine is carbide tipped and will etch glass. A tool steel (like a drill bit) will etch titanium.
I'd go with the center punch method. You can make a dotted line if one dimple isn't enough.
Titanium can be hard stuff and trying to form it with a home-made tool and die process can be tricky and ruin your pot.
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 07/20/15 05:49 AM

add permanent volume markings to a kettle

Re: creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 07/20/15 11:42 AM

I have seen electrically etching of aluminum. It seems like the most benign way of adding marks. But I have doubt's about it's effecivness on titanium. If this method could be effectively used for my pot,I would love to use it over a hammer and die. I'm most worried about introducing stress cracks. I would do a test, if I were lucky enough to have a scrap piece I could test without risk to a finished product.
Posted by: Gershon

Re: creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 07/22/15 01:33 PM

I'd use an indelible Sharpie on the outside. It will be close enough and last a good amount of time.

Re: creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 07/25/15 08:26 PM

Yesterday I tried electrical etching using the method described in Perry's post ,have to say, I was underwhelmed! It left the surface slightly brownish, this on the botton of my pot. Advanced on to the internal marking. What I got was almost, unseeable markings inside.(this under fairly good lighting conditions) For the record, I also tryed this on some scrap al. I had in the scrap bin. No visible marks were produced at all. I did some researching on the back backing lite site. And found an enlarged explanation of the copper faced stamping process. Made a trip out to the cheapest tool dealer in town and have embarked on this since it was my org. preferred method. This'll take a few weeks, since I also have a few irons going right now. Good or bad, I promise a report when done.
Posted by: Slowfoot

Re: creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 07/27/15 09:16 PM

I scratched marks on my spoon instead of the pot and put the spoon in the pot to measure. It works pretty well since I don't need exact measurements.

Re: creating fill marks on titanium cookware - 08/04/15 11:08 AM

Well, I hadn't considered marking other than on the pot....thank you Slowfoot for the "wake up". Currently I'm unable to get back to this project, other than Until late fall/early spring. Will, most likely mark my spoon for the time being and see how that works out. Thanks to all who responded.