Cheap Diy camp stove 2.0

Posted by: rsideco

Cheap Diy camp stove 2.0 - 02/26/14 02:15 PM

This is awesome and just so simple I even made one to carry.

The pan seems like one from the dollar store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al-NX841-oE&feature=c4-overview&list=UUgVMNJBft9Tqf8evUQqqLtw
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Cheap Diy camp stove 2.0 - 02/26/14 05:52 PM

Just remember that out here in the West you probably will be prohibited from using a wood stove during fire season (the Forest Service and Park Service consider a wood stove no different than a campfire). Even alcohol stoves are likely to be banned during fire season this year. It's already fire season in southern California, although I understand that the next storm is, for a change, headed their direction.
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Cheap Diy camp stove 2.0 - 02/26/14 08:31 PM

I love how the guy has a fire going on his tile in his house! Not the sharpest knife.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Cheap Diy camp stove 2.0 - 02/26/14 10:04 PM

3 tent stakes poked in the ground for a pot holder, build a twig fire underneath. Free and weightless if you use tent stakes. Guaranteed to not set off a smoke alarm in your house.
The Sierra version is forget the fire, sit and chew on a granola bar as the alpenglow flames your favorite peaks.
Posted by: phat

Re: Cheap Diy camp stove 2.0 - 02/26/14 11:45 PM

I object bluefish.. It's not weightless - I had to carry the tent stakes..

However three rocks that I pick up, and a twig fire - that's weightless.. Where it's permitted, and appropriate...

Posted by: finallyME

Re: Cheap Diy camp stove 2.0 - 02/27/14 05:38 PM

then there is always bicycle spokes. They don't weigh much.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Cheap Diy camp stove 2.0 - 02/28/14 11:54 AM

Originally Posted By rockchucker22
I love how the guy has a fire going on his tile in his house! Not the sharpest knife.

Yeah, my first thought on that was, "he's a renter".

Quote:
The Sierra version is forget the fire, sit and chew on a granola bar as the alpenglow flames your favorite peaks.

LOL. That's true, and I admire that because it does take some self control and exhibits a respect for the nature of the local as opposed to the nature of the human in it.

That stove will certainly work fine, but it's a pretty lazy design. The edges on those flaps are most certainly close to knife sharp. Bending them out like that requires you bend them back for storage, or risk cutting up whatever gets near them, and after a few bends they're going to start to break off. When they do, the stove will work just as well and be easier to pack, and be a little less prone to slice you up while handling it.

I've been cooking a lot with twig fires lately, it saves fuel for my SuperCat stove. I thought a lot about wood stove designs, particularly gasifiers, but I always come back to what phat points out, 3 rocks work just as well.

I'm finally at the point where I've realized a stove isn't essential here, it's a more of a toy, kind of like a GPS.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Cheap Diy camp stove 2.0 - 03/03/14 10:05 AM

Originally Posted By billstephenson

I thought a lot about wood stove designs, particularly gasifiers, but I always come back to what phat points out, 3 rocks work just as well.

I have pretty much came to the same conclusion.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Cheap Diy camp stove 2.0 - 06/04/14 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By billstephenson
[quote=rockchucker22]I'm finally at the point where I've realized a stove isn't essential here, it's a more of a toy, kind of like a GPS.

Yes, but if you really like having an alcohol stove, it's hard to beat the supercat for ease, simplicity, and weight. I built a penny stove, but I could never get it tweaked to my satisfaction. Then I spent five minutes punching holes in a 40 cent cat food can and never looked back. I even use it car camping. It may not be the absolute optimal performer in terms of time to boil x ounces of water, but I don't really care; it's convenient and more than sufficient. I haven't built wood cook fires yet, but if I do, I'll use you guys' advice and just use rocks.