jiffy pop frying pan

Posted by: Jackamo

jiffy pop frying pan - 03/25/13 05:56 PM

in case youre all out there looking for a lightweight alternative to a cast iron skillet for cooking your veggies, (and honestly, who isnt, right?) i found this little beauty at the bottom of my last batch of jiffy pop. probably been done before, but its a good excuse to eat jiffy pop!

Posted by: lori

Re: jiffy pop frying pan - 03/25/13 08:37 PM

So what's the magic trick to get all the burnt fake butter and kernels off the bottom? never seen a jiffy pop that finished popping without burnt stuff at the bottom.
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: jiffy pop frying pan - 03/25/13 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By lori
So what's the magic trick to get all the burnt fake butter and kernels off the bottom? never seen a jiffy pop that finished popping without burnt stuff at the bottom.
Dump all the crap first!
Posted by: phat

Re: jiffy pop frying pan - 03/26/13 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By lori

Easy off oven cleaner - It's the stuff for taking off burnt goo smile
Posted by: Tobi

Re: jiffy pop frying pan - 03/26/13 12:02 PM

Do you steam it inside the container or do you try to fry it up?
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: jiffy pop frying pan - 03/26/13 02:26 PM

And my wife the chef would point out that this is the least evenly heating pan you will ever own, by a long shot...

Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: jiffy pop frying pan - 03/26/13 03:22 PM

Plus Jiffy Pop popcorn tastes awful, IMHO! I don't think the pan is worth the price since the popcorn and all that artificial gunk would go in the garbage. YMMV, of course.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: jiffy pop frying pan - 03/27/13 08:48 AM

Thanks for posting the idea. No matter a person's take on Jiffy Pop, brainstorming is useful. Two of the tricks with Juffy Pop are low heat and keeping the pan moving. We used to think this stuff was really cool when we were kids, but I'm over it. I did do some fiddling with Jiffy Pop and disposable pans for impromtu camping gear in years past. Foil pans (repurposed or diposable) can be made to work with some care, especially for poaching or boiling. Let water disperse the heat. The Jiffy Pop pan has a handle, which is convenient, but a coat hanger might be utilzed or one of the clamp-on handles.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: jiffy pop frying pan - 03/29/13 10:04 PM

I love sautéed onions and mushrooms....

The last time we had one of those Jiffy Pops I asked my wife to save the pan for me because I wanted to give it a try for backpacking. She tossed it cry

She says I have too much junk and I didn't need a Jiffy Pop pan, but it's not true, I do need one of those. cool

Re: jiffy pop frying pan - 03/30/13 02:12 PM

Bill-

It man be "no-man's land," OK, was in past lifetimes, but you are resourceful enough to find the snack aisle in your local grocery store. Or, buy a bakery or frozen pie and repurpose that pan...

wink

CM
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: jiffy pop frying pan - 03/30/13 04:13 PM

Yes, it can be a no man's land frown

Like lots of guys I know, so far my resourcefulness has been limited to saying "Hey, while you're at the store pick me up a ...." (fill in the blank), but you have to give me credit for trying to be "Green". I mean, my wife is going to the store anyway.

From my informal studies on the subject I've preconcluded that wives quickly build an immunity to hearing that phrase no matter what language their husbands speak. I suspect it's a genetic fault that a pill could be made to fix but my wife won't let me take a DNA sample to test it, and none of the husbands I know will even ask theirs for one. mad

So, I guess you're right. If I'm ever going to get a Jiffy Pop frying pan I'm going to have to go to the store myself. grin
Posted by: jbylake

Re: jiffy pop frying pan - 03/31/13 07:22 PM

You mean to tell me that people ACTUALLY cook and eat stuff outdoors, without pouring boiling water in a bag??? Hmmmmmph...who'da thunk it.. laugh
J.
Posted by: llamero

Re: jiffy pop frying pan - 04/01/13 01:00 AM

Dinner in a baggie? Not so much anymore. Sometimes I eat salad or cereal, but I enjoy a hot breakfast and dinner.

Re: jiffy pop frying pan - 04/01/13 07:30 PM

Bill-

If you didn't live so far away, I'd be happy to pick up a Jiffy Pop for you. I buy stuff for my husband and son all of the time. I'm there, so I just do it.

CM