Tyvek?

Posted by: jareed58

Tyvek? - 08/16/12 10:21 AM

Does anyone know where to purchase Tyvek? The only place I can find it is Lowes and HD, and its in huge house wrap sheets.
Posted by: lori

Re: Tyvek? - 08/16/12 10:42 AM

eBay, or talk to friends who work construction sites for scraps.

You can buy it by the foot on eBay - a little expensive but not a bad deal.
Posted by: Ewker

Re: Tyvek? - 08/16/12 03:24 PM

Home Depot or Lowes if you want a huge roll of it. You could always buy it with some friends to keep the cost down. Best bet is what Lori said about construction sites
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Tyvek? - 08/16/12 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By jareed58
Does anyone know where to purchase Tyvek? The only place I can find it is Lowes and HD, and its in huge house wrap sheets.

I think they wrap their plywood in Tyvek for shipping. You may be able to talk them into saving a piece for you.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Tyvek? - 08/17/12 10:05 AM

Tyvek is the name for a variety of sheet products besides House Wrap. Regular House Wrap weighs about 2 oz per square yard. There is a product called Kite Tyvek that weighs about 1.3 oz per square yard and has about the same water resistance as does the House Wrap type. At this site http://www.intothewind.com/shop/Fabric_for_kitemaking_or_kite_repair/Tyvek you can buy it in quantities as small as one running yard; you have to pay for shipping though. I find that the kite Tyvek is more like cloth than is the House Wrap and a lot less noisy when you lie on it. All Tyvek, however, is subject to "static cling" which means that a lot of organic particles from the soil surface will cling to it. A good shake will get rid of most of it though.
Posted by: jareed58

Re: Tyvek? - 08/18/12 11:19 PM

Thanks for the info, The Kite Tyvek sounds great.
Posted by: Zippy Morocco

Re: Tyvek? - 11/09/12 11:04 AM

would like to add Lawson as a great source for tyvek. Offers free shipping on orders over $10 too. http://lawsonequipment.com
Posted by: MMD

Re: Tyvek? - 12/11/12 01:53 PM

Construction sites often use this stuff and then throw it in their dumpsters. You may be able to talk to a contractor and arrange to get it from them, rather than the dumpster.